Sunday, October 05, 2008

 

5th Oct Rainy Sunday

It has been a strange sort of Sunday!
With heavy rain and strong winds for much of the day we obviously didn't get up and go to find a car boot sale.
We have worked on preparing the next batch of 40 items for EBay. Everything is photographed, thanks to Bill and I have jotted down some of the main things that are needed for the descriptions.
Tomorrow I will start to describe and hopefully will have all 40 ready for when we get back from the Isle of Wight.
During the morning we watched The Great North Run - lucky Newcastle had clear blues skies for the event.
Thousands and thousands ran the half marathon.
There were so many sad stories and also stories of courage - all leading to money being raised for many charities.
One affected me quite deeply - especially after a spell last night of feeling sorry for myself.
A man was running today with his nurse. The nurse felt she should be there. This man is still being treated for cancer and the radiotherapy has burned his neck severely both inside and out. His gullet has been destroyed and he can no longer eat or drink. All his nutrients have to be fed through a tube sticking out from his stomach.
Imagine a world with no eating! Imagine no sociable meals with friends and family!
How dare I feel sorry for myself?
In fact I soon turned last night's moodiness around again. I had been looking back to this time last year and yearning for a life without a stoma and bags.
Then I recalled that this time last year I had an aggressive cancer and pain.
I am much better off now.

The reason for my introspection is because I have a problem, which may or may not be one to be concerned about. There is deep blue bruising around the stoma.
I am seeing the stoma care nurse on Tuesday. I have been putting this off because I really will feel anxious about having to change the bag in unfamiliar surroundings. But it will be at Crawley hospital - so if I fail then we are very close to home and the security of my own surroundings.
This led me to browse the internet for a while and I have found the Urostomy Penpals site.
It has been interesting to read of other's experiences and I have sent an EMail to somebody in the USA who asked about bruising.

There has been further aimless browsing whilst talking with Ashley, who had been playing around with Facebook.
I don't really understand how to get the best out of Facebook and although I signed up for it, I haven't used it.
With Ashley's help, I found some parts which were quite fun.
There is a group attached to the school that I taught at for quite a while and which J & A attended.
So, if you are reading this and have suddenly been asked to be my facebook friend, its because Ashley encouraged me!

So, it has been an aimless day - but things have been done.
And just like Mo - I have been attempting to enlarge the Roman Empire! And failing! Its that computer game again!
But I can beat the novices who play Scrabble!

Goodnight.