Thursday, September 25, 2008

 

25th Sept. Then and now. Last Friday and today.

For the next few days my evening rambling will be divided into two parts.
I shall be sharing some of the photos we took whilst in Wales last week and of course sharing a little of our days here at home.

On our way to Ashley's in Bangor, we stopped at the OK American diner.
This is just outside Chester on the A55.
It is a fast food joint, but it has some novelty value and provides good value eating.
Bill has a wrap filled with scrambled egg, bacon and mushrooms and some chips.
There are posters on the walls showing rock stars of the 1950's and also those connected with 1950's cars.




It is all chrome and glass - typical "modern" look for the 1950's.
In Bangor we were greeted by Ekatarina, feeling very snuffly with a cold. She had not been to school for a couple of days.
She was happy to see us - and very happy to be re-united with the Polly Pocket cruise ship.
You can't see it clearly because of course the ship has been opened up to reveal cabins, eating places and swimming pools.
That was last Friday.
Today we have been in Dorking.
On entering the shop we glanced a bit gloomily at our shelves - where were all the spaces? But in fact we had sold more than we had realised.
On doing the accounts at the end of today I can announce that the September profits more than cover the rent, with almost a week to go. So, we are being successful enough.
We both sold items today.
I went out first thing to post parcels. Later both Bill and I went out for a stroll.
Jill is happy to be left alone.
In fact I think Jill wishes, almost believes, that Pilgrims is her shop. She has been there the longest and has experienced a number of different people running it. She is a lovely lady - just as long as we remember who is "boss".
I did feel a bit bruised once when she inferred that I, as a new girl, wouldn't be able to sort out all the things she would know - and she left her mobile phone number when she went out.
I did remind her that I had been in a number of shops in the business for many years now and knew my way around the trade, though of course there is still much to learn about Pilgrims and Dorking ways.
But apart from that we can have a laugh.
Bill bought in a ship's clock and some early letter weighing scales from somebody who came in.
I shall make a much needed drink soon and try to watch some TV.
Its not difficult to watch TV of course - just hard to stay awake. I think I saw only 10 minutes of Who Do You Think You Are last evening.
Goodnight.