Tuesday, October 28, 2008

 

29th October Today's musings & St Catherine's Lighthouse.

I will begin with today..... and I look ahead to all the work that will be done in our kitchen with some dread.
I still feel undecided about whether I ever wanted any changes made - but the decision is now in the past and the work will be done and the money will be spent. I have to make the best of it.
It seems that this work will take longer and cause more disruption to our routine than the last time it was done.
This evening a couple of the workers came to check things out and I realised that for maybe 2 weeks we will have to live around their needs and their decisions.

I have felt tired today and unwilling to push on with the clearing of cupboards.

I had my hair cut and Rob, my stylist, said that people all seem to be feeling tired right now. Maybe it is the onset of winter and worries on the financial front that are causing a mass depression in society.

There are fireworks being let off out there somewhere this evening. Bang Bang!For heavens sake! Its October 29th! It is not Halloween or Guy Fawkes Night.

I do little about either of these things nowadays, but at least Guy Fawkes Night reflects our own history. Halloween has always existed but the trend to tie it up with spending money and trick or treating is a watered down import from America.
Talking of America I fear that Obama may not be the target of amateur fascists next time. I fear that a much more organised plot might be set for him, perhaps as was set up for the Kennedy's.

And those of us in Britain will have realised that at last Jonathan Ross has been found out. I have always thought the amount of money paid to him by our BBC was obscene and after his latest exploits hopefully he might be dropped.
I did hear somebody propose that Ross was good for the BBC because we need unpredictable comedians. I found him to be entirely predictable - always adolescent despite nearing 50.

I returned from our holiday full of good intentions about being a more creative cook; and today I managed that. But of course for the next 2 weeks or so I shall have to depend on take aways, meals out or ready meals in the microwave.
I made a fish pie from a salmon steak and mussels. It was good.

So let me now look back to the next chapter of the holiday.

Our cottage was in Niton, a village of 2 halves. The main part is on the upper cliff, but there is also a community on the undercliff. And also on the undercliff is St. Catherine's lighthouse, built to protect shipping from treacherous waters which wrecked many a ship.

We walked down to the lighthouse on a bright and very breezy morning. It felt more like a howling gale!











The next picture was taken close to the edge of the cliffs down to the sea, looking back to the upper cliff, now grown with shrubs and grass.




Next time we will reach Yarmouth Bay.