Friday, October 17, 2008

 

17th Oct Trying to be ready for the off

Oh how optimistic I seemed to be when I wrote yesterday evening!
Half an hour later I was crawling into bed feeling dreadful.
The nausea and headaches were back - I just couldn't function.
As you may recall we have a blood pressure monitor and I did mine - it was way up. It was close to the 140 figure that doctors warn is above the safety zone if it stays like that for long.
Goodness! My BP was higher than Bill's.
The only other time I can recall that happening was when ambulance men took our BPs after the car accident. And then it was way above 140!
By morning it was back down to my normal 102 ish.
But my body didn't feel normal.
I still feel the nausea.
But packing up has been done pretty well - so many things to think about when going to a cottage rather than a guest house or hotel.

I know we will have a good time, health permitting. But somehow the week will feel rather like having a week at home and going out days - though of course we can't have too many days out on the Isle of Wight whilst in our own home.
There is lots to see and do and we enjoy each other's company.
But I think we will miss the opportunity that a guest house or small hotel brings to meet new people and to talk and become friends - normally very temporary friends of course.
I love going down from our room to a well prepared meal and to watch the others and maybe at some point to decide to share a table with other people. And after dinner, maybe take a stroll with new friends or have some drinks together and perhaps play cards or just laugh and talk.
And of course I love that the washing up is not part of our lives!
So this is like going back to an earlier time when we thought we couldn't afford any other sort of holiday.
I guess we will chat to people whilst we are out and about - like we do. But it won't be the same.
When the boys were young, camping and cottages were of course ideal for a family and we have very good memories. But life changes.
So I look ahead just slightly bleakly to a week that had seemed such a good idea when it was planned.
I felt a cottage would be good for me because we could have a base for bags and equipment.
And I do want to explore as much of the Isle of Wight as possible. But I don't think we would consider 7 days out in a row from our home.

One thing packed is the lap top. I can write some diary each evening, just as normal. It may or may not get used on the blog later.
I have this dream that perhaps the computer will be able to pick up some stray wireless network from close by and I can get on line - but probably not.
I shall miss my new found pleasure on Facebook!

I will have an early night and hope that I feel much more jaunty in the morning.
The ferry boat leaves Portsmouth at quarter past eleven.

Have a good week.
Will be back on the 25th.
Goodbye.