Saturday, October 11, 2008

 

11th Oct. A full saturday

I suppose I really should slow down a bit some time. I am feeling so sleepy.

This morning we were away from home by 7 o'clock and drove down to Ford.
It was a beautiful morning.
And the view from Bury Hill was incredible.
There was a big orange sun rising over the distant Downs and the valley was filled with a floating pure white mist - "etheril", Roger might say!
And where were the cameras? At home sadly - but the picture is recorded in our brains.
And I had to use Roger's mis-typed word from the other day; I think it might become a family favourite.

The boot sale at Ford was big with the usual mix of stalls - professional dealers charging a bit too much, families clearing out things they don't want any more and house clearance men.
One of the house clearance men is a local vicar and the money he makes goes to a hospice.
I didn't find anything with him at first.
In fact I was slow to find things at all today - what to buy? I wasn't really sure because I haven't quite worked out yet what the people of the Dorking area are wanting.
Eventually I bought some bits from a woman we have bought from before. She may have hit hard times, I don't know. But she is selling her own collection of lovely things - glass, ornaments etc.
I bought a good piece of glass for £25 and 2 Shelley jugs.
This set me off - and then I found more to buy.
But there was not enough for a trip back to the car.
We decided to sit in the sun and watch the world go by at one of the food wagons.
As usual I got chatting to the person sharing the table with us.
Before we left we returned to the reverend house clearance man (not in his clerical clothing of course).
By this hour he felt he had done all he could and everything that was left was free.
I picked up some terra cotta flower pots and a few other bits and pieces.
We stopped in Billingshurst on the way home and got to the post office just a bit too late for parcel posting.
We had joined the queue and hoped - but we were about 3 away from being served when the lady had to call a halt in order to pass over the sacks of mail to the postie who had arrived with a van to take it all to the sorting office.
We decided to bring the lot home and post locally on Monday.
We looked in a couple of charity shops and I bought a brand new pair of bedroom slippers for £4.
We got home and slumped.
I should have got my purchases written up - but didn't.
That Persian Empire needed my attention.
Have you finished it Mo? I get to within 10 levels of finishing and then fail and get sent back to Level 61 - over and over again!
Later on we got ourselves ready to go out.
First we called in at Bill's brother Michael's with a birthday card for Bev. Naturally we stopped and chatted.
Then we went to Ifield for tea with Jenny and Ruth and the little ones - and also Roger and Sue, Simon and Nikki and Megan.
Lovely to be all together and Felix lapped up being the centre of attention.
We got home to watch X Factor - yes, its that time of year again. The weekly heartache and tensions are upon us.
Some of the finalists are really good and I enjoy the variety and range of people we can see and hear.
Well, its 11 o'clock. Very much time for bed.
We are assuming the car boot sale at Pease Pottage will be on - there have been a few days of sunshine and the field should be dry enough. We'll get there early - just in case we have to drive to Dorking for the boot sale fix.
Goodnight.