Monday, October 27, 2008

 

27th Sunny Monday in the kitchen and Godshill, I of W.

Thank goodness - a sunny day!
It has felt warm indoors with the sunshine streaming through the windows.
Washing has got reasonably dry.

I have worked today on kitchen cupboards. In a week's time the present ones will be taken out and so everything has to be removed. It is a good time for sorting and rejecting.
I have quite a lot boxed up - but there are still many more things to be dealt with. Already we have a large amount for a charity shop - I have been quite ruthless for a change.
I suspect that even more might be rejected when it is time to find new homes for everything.

I have also found time to explore some of the face book games that some of my family and friends are involved in. My boggling experience has stood me in good stead and I am the leader amongst us in word challenge. But Ashley reigns supreme (at the moment) at How Good is Your Brain. This is the sort of game that advertisers promote for people to keep their brains working quickly - and manufactured versions cost quite a lot. We can have a bit of fun for free.

And now for a look back to chapter 2 of the Isle of Wight experience.
Of course you can always miss these bits - but it is where you will see photographs.
If I do a bit at a time I can foresee it will take a couple of weeks! (at least!)

We landed on the island and we thought we would first do a bit of shopping for the week ahead. There is a Lidls in Newport.
There are lots of shops in Newport and a one way system that takes you round the outside of all of them!
It was busy and we were frustrated and so decided to move south.

We stopped in Godshill for a stroll and some lunch.


The Old Forge had what would have been a lovely garden if it had not been filled with plaster models of creatures and cottages. I guess they were trying to compete with the Model Village up the road (supposed to be fun for children and with an admission charge).
This view through a window was the best I could make it look.

I am not sure why we opted not to go into the cafe we went to in the summer, which had been so friendly. Maybe we thought they just did cakes, ice creams and drinks.
We ended up in a place opposite and had the worst lunch of our stay.
We should have left - but the woman in her fluffy pink sparkly cardigan had her claws into us, for she was very short of customers.
The home made vegetable soup arrived - a rather thin soup and the basic vegetable was onion. It was salty.
I wanted to grumble, but we decided to laugh instead.
There was much to be laugh at - for it was very tacky.





The walls were covered with "cute" scenes. The lemons on the tree in the top picture were plastic of course!

At least we enjoyed some more picturesque sights.
We did our shopping at a supermarket in Ventnor.
But having stopped off at the village shop, we wish we had done it all in there.
It is now part of the Londis franchise, but definitely still has the personal touch.
They sold the best home cooked pork pies that I have eaten.


You can see that it has been a village shop for over 100 years.
We settled into the cottage and enjoyed a relaxed evening "at home". Pictures of our island home will appear later.