Wednesday, October 29, 2008

 

29th Oct. Saucepans, colanders & Freshwater Bay.

I am writing early today because this evening we are off out.
We are going to enjoy (I hope) a performance of the musical, Oliver staged by the local amateur operatic society.
Frieda is coming with us - our birthday present to her.
I have been back to work in the kitchen cupboards today.
I have been through all saucepans, casseroles, baking tins etc.
Many are not used these days and I couldn't really see when I might use the motley collection of cake tins. I have kept the best.
There are things I haven't used for years.
I did have to think long and hard about an old aluminium colander.
I bought 2 cheaply (2/11d - old money comes to mind) in Woolworths in Richmond during the months leading up to our wedding. After all, the other girls were filling their bottom drawers with items which would be needed in the new home.
I had almost no money and hardly more idea about what a well reared young housewife should have; but I did feel proud of my colanders.
The handle of one broke some years ago and I put the remaining one to the back of the cupboard, not wanting to damage that one too. Recently I bought another one in Ikea and that is what I use most days of the week.
But today I decided to release the old one from my life - this old friend has become redundant.
We need space and lack of clutter more than a sentimental colander!
I have also emptied much of the food cupboard.
I wonder where it will all fit back in.
The weather has been bright - I feel sorry for Ashley having Ecky home from school for the half term holiday and it keeps on raining.
And now we will continue along the southern coast of the Isle of Wight.
We drove up from our village and were greeted by the stunning view to the west - to Freshwater Bay and The Needles.
Look how rural and unspoilt it is.




I was fascinated by the variety of geology - sandstone and chalk so close together.
The road is called the Military Road - and there will be military history on another day.


We stopped for a walk at Freshwater Bay.
The summer season is well past and the bay sea front itself seemed a bit jaded and faded,
but the views are lovely.
I can see why Tennyson and other of his friends were so entranced.
We will "meet" one of his friends in the next chapter.


On another visit we will enjoy walking on the cliff tops - but despite the sunshine it was quite cold in the strong wind.


Thatched churches are rare. The church of St Agnes stands a little above the bay and is considered to be a real gem and celebrated its centenary this year.




Next time we will dine at the home of Julia Margaret Cameron amongst cabinets of old cameras.