Monday, August 25, 2008

 

25th August. When I'm 64.

Many thanks to those that know that today is momentous day - almost an iconic day really.
Many years ago The Beatles had a song about my today - 40 or so years ago I looked ahead to this day with a wonderment about how it would feel to reach this age - yes, I have made it to be 64.
So with my apologies for changing the words slightly, here is my song - altered since the first draft with lines by Jamie!

When I get older losing my body parts
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?
You'll be older too,
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.
You could be handy mending a fuse
When the lights have gone.
I can write a blog from the office chair
Sunday mornings to the boot fair.
Plugging the stoma, empty the wee
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me,
will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four?
This summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight,
if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on my knee
Ecky, Jess and John.
Send me a postcard,
drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely,
Wasting Away.
Give me your answer,
fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four?Whoo!

I sang it in my 20s to Bill as a love song - knowing that we would stay together. But wow, we have hit some hurdles on the way.
But here we are - still sharing and caring.


And here I am with the birthday cards - the senders of which join with the others in my heart who have sent greetings, E cards and general good wishes.

There has been no major celebration.
We have been busy.
This morning, hopeful that the greyness would pass we went to Horsham for a boot sale as Collyers School. These occasional sales have been good in the past, but not today. There were many stalls - and almost nothing worth buying.
We met Jo and there she said she had only spent 50p.
But it was good to be in our very familiar environment, Jo and me, to share a few minutes contemplating our birthdays and exchanging cards.
I bought some more lovely clothes for me. I really will have to sort out the wardrobe - there is not another inch of space in there.
I have more long skirts now than I ever thought I would own - but at £1 a time, then how can I resist?

Later we went off to the track for an athletics meeting.
It was a good meeting and far better attended than in some past years.
The highlight was somewhat poignant as the British record holder for pole vault made his last ever competitive jump.
Nick Buckfield has been a member of Crawley Athletics Club for 25 years and despite the lures and attractions of the bigger clubs has stayed with us for all that time.
He competed at the previous 2 Olympics and many other major competitions - but my memories are of the small boy, aged about 13 competing in my team at the sports hall athletics meetings.
An invitation pole vault competition had been arranged and Nick bowed out with a gold medal from his club - though the height he reached was very low. He is less than fit and ready to get on with the rest of his life, which will include coaching young pole vaulters.
We didn't know this event was happening - or we would have taken cameras. Normally I take mine everywhere - but not today. So I must be content with a powerful looking shot of Nick in his heyday from the web site.




And so the first day as a 64 year old draws to a close.
Goodnight.