Monday, August 18, 2008

 

18th August Monday routines and bothers.

Firstly back to yesterday - well, actually back to 24th July.
This was the day cousin Celia and Ian slipped up to Gretna Green for a night to be married.
Their wedding was everything they hoped for.
Apart, that is, from the planned fish and chip supper at Carnforth Station had to be abandoned. This station was where the film Brief Encounter was filmed - but by the time Celia and Ian got there the Brief Encounter cafe was closed.
The third picture of Celia and Ian was taken yesterday.






Even if you don't know this couple I am sure you will agree that a joyful relaxed contentment shines through.
Today began for us in the wee small ours - with the emphasis, regretfully on "wee"!
It happens so rarely - but the middle of the night required an urgent bag change, shower and a complete change of all bed linen and duvet! Not fun.
We made a cup of tea and listened to the radio for a while as the Chinese athletic drama began to unfold. Was he going to run?
Liu Xiang is bigger in China than perhaps even our own top footballers - David Beckham for example.
He was the reigning Olympic champion in the 110metre hurdles and it seems the Chinese people were banking on him achieving the same again.
Poor guy!
Assuming the injury was genuine (and I think it was) then it came at the right time for him - just in time to save him from being beaten, which I rather suspect he would have been. Though a medal was on the cards.
The stunned silence and emotions of the Chinese people was spectacular as we listened in the middle of our night.
Apparently one of their reporters broke down in tears.
At 9 o'clock I was with Lesley the practice nurse for my second B12 jab. I have known her for years. How nice to receive her admiration - "I don't know how you carry on" she commented.
I was back home to deal with EBay sales - the first for about 3 weeks. It took me a few minutes to pick up my normal routine. A map that we had got in a box of maps sold for almost £8, which was a good surprise.
This afternoon parcels were posted.
I arranged for a hair cut tomorrow. I think I want the layers put back in, having told Rob that I wanted to grow them out.
Then we went to Lidls for a bulk buy of the sorts of things we get there.
The evening feels kind of sad. It is so obvious now that the evenings are drawing in - darker just that little bit earlier each evening now. And of course it looks so gloomy anyway.
I am not sure that I have really noticed the summer very much - and now I notice that it is over!
Time for a drink and early night - if I can drag myself away from Cradle of Persia. I have got to a round that is impossible!
Goodnight.