Tuesday, August 19, 2008

 

19th August. More golden wonders

Another lazy day for us armchair sports enthusiasts.
We have admired and enjoyed the efforts of folk out in China - lots of British performances to be pleased about.
But honestly I do care about the exploits of sports people from all lands - the Russian pole vaulting woman is a joy to watch.
And Bill, of course, finds the female beach volley ball competitors a real treat!
Having connections with track and field I have enjoyed all sorts of competitions and was delighted today that "our" athlete won a gold medal in the women's 400metres.
And I loved the silver medal for the men's high jump for the guy nobody seems to have heard of - I have forgotten his name already! Somebody who scraped through under the media network without being noticed - congratulations to him on both successes!
I like high jump competitions. The competitors (as in pole vault) have to accept that every time they compete they will end on a failure; so they have to learn that failures can be very much a part of life.

And through the wonders of worldwide computing, I almost feel like I have been watching the athletics WITH Jamie today, just as in the old days. We have been commenting back and forth on what we have been watching.

I have had my hair cut today - it is a bit shorter than in the past. Now that I don't have a round chubby face I think I can cope better with with shorter hair.
Perhaps Bill can take a photo tomorrow.

Tomorrow we will go to Dorking to check out the shelves at the shop - and to collect our money. I have heard from Jo today that Stephen who runs the shop has now negotiated a new 3 year contract for the lease of the shop; so we don't have to worry about an abrupt closure in November. It will be our choice if and when we decide it is not working for us - but it rather looks like we will be happy to stay for a lot longer yet.

That's all for this evening.
Goodnight.