Sunday, June 01, 2008

 

01 June. It keeps on rocking on.

Another day in Rocking Horse....... and I quote from yesterday......

It will be the first day for 12 years that I won't be able to have a little frisson of expectation, wondering if anything of mine is being sold at that very moment.

I got that wrong then!

The Rocking Horse Folk have been in and out all day long; the door has been open and in walked the customers as if nothing had happened!

The sales sheets numbered 3 for today and both Bill and I had sold things.

We arrived at about 1 0'clock to work for about 3 hours. Much has been completed. I have some more bits which need wrapping and packing and my shelves must be stowed in the KIA and eventually will take their place in a new and improved store out in the garage.




Bill has cleared most of his shelving at this stage.



Customers at the back of the shop.
And look - Bill's area is no more.
The shelves have gone - one now is upstairs in a spare bedroom and the other 2 have gone up the road to where Graham, the postmaster, is.
That is young Graham! He must be young - he was in my class before Jamie was born!



A general view towards the front of the shop with much bending, stretching and carrying.


My area! I left a few bits - after all if there are customers about it might pay to delay.

There was time to chat and laugh too..... "where do you want this Christine?"


Jo's window area is now empty and she has time to sit at the desk and count her pennies!
This is not the day's takings actually - Jo was sorting out a lot of change so that Peter could more easily sort the money before they went home.


"I wonder why this didn't sell, Christine."


Looking to the back of the shop. My area is almost empty. Many boxes have already come home and there is a big pile of more boxes to be dealt with tomorrow.
In the foreground is a mass of boxes and bags that Jo will have to get into her car tomorrow.
The energy in Rocking Horse has always been fun - even on the dull, poor sales day.
Do you know I am the only one who has had a "no sales" day!
Today that energy was very obvious - all of us needing lots to sort everything out - and the energy of our customers who wanted just a bit more from us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The day began early of course - it is Sunday, boot sale day; and we both had had a bad night.
I had crampy legs and eventually a flown blown attack occurred. Ouch! Ouch!
Bill has been coughing a lot and also has some form of toothache or neuralgia(cause unknown right now).
We were out at about quarter past seven in light drizzle to go up the road to Pease Pottage.
"Bother" says Bill, "it is spitling".
Bill has a language all of his own you know.
Once we were there "bothers" were being muttered all around.
There was little interesting to buy.
Just how many unwanted cheap plastic toys are there in the world? And Friends videos?
We met Jo and then Joy and Peter. Peter had bought railway books and in fact I also found some books to buy.
We were home by 9 o'clock and after a warming cup of tea I wrote all the items bought last weekend and this weekend up in my file.
Some of the sections in my file have now become redundant for I am sure I shall not be buying glassware to see again; indeed, I have to wonder why I bought it in the past.
Tomorrow Bill is off to see if Bill Clinton and to ask him to ease some of his troubles - the toothache or neuralgia.
It is still quite early. I think some gentle relaxation is in order before bedtime.
Goodnight.