Tuesday, April 29, 2008

 

29th April. Rocking and working

Perhaps the most depressing thought of the day was something I heard on the radio as we drove away from Rocking Horse this evening. It was exceedingly gloomy, grey and wet and what did I hear?.......It is only 7 weeks until the nights start drawing in again.
Goodness! With the weather we have had we have hardly noticed the lighter evenings yet.

Today has been lively in the shop in a sad sort of way.

I planned to make sure that all the books I have are reduced in price - nothing over £2.
I sorted the Ladybird books first. "Mmmm" I mused " It would be good if these books were a bit more visible"
So I moved something to make a space.... and, you guessed it, I found myself moving almost everything.

Later Sue and Christine came in. They are sharing a large space in a shop in Lewes - starting on Thursday. So, they joined me in piling masses of stuff on the floor to take away, and then making new displays with things brought in from their stores at home to fill the RH shelves.

We are all beginning to think ahead now to our new chapters. Jo took over her cabinets in the Dorking shop today. She rang this afternoon, feeling pleased with things and having sold a good table cloth already!

Later I had to move out a drawer unit that Jo had sold ages ago - it was paid for on the day and the buyer planned to be back for it within the week; but she didn't come until today. Fortunately Christine's husband was there to help carry it over the china piled up on the floor.

There were lots of other customers - friendly, talkative ones which is lovely, except I slipped behind with my plans.
Most of our dealers sold today.
I managed to tell one of the customers that I had a pile of old 78s stored in the garage and we would dearly like to have the space.
He has been to the house this evening and took them all away. He got a bargain for sure, but he genuinely wanted them for himself to play in his work shop as he tinkers with old motorbikes. He is an aging TeddyBoy!
Many of the records were by Lonnie Donegan - a great favourite of mine from the 1950s. By some odd quirk of serendipity, today is Lonnie Donegan's birthday. he would have been 77 now, but sadly died 8 years ago.

Tomorrow we will go back to the shop for a while to finish what I had planned today.
Bill is now making notices to attract the customers into our areas, announcing bargains and reductions.
Even after reducing everything I can to almost rock bottom I will offer a further 25% on all items over £5.
I don't want to make too much of a loss on things, but I must think ahead to the packing up days and would prefer it if the shop customers could take things away and save us carting too much around to car boot sales, where prices must of course be low.

It was certainly gloomy outdoors - though I have been so busy I hardly noticed.
I hope the weather improves for our long weekend in North Wales.