Thursday, April 24, 2008

 

24th April Mad dogs and timekeepers!

Mad!
Yes - we are mad.... but we can feel satisfied that we have been busy for others tonight.
At 6 0'clock this evening, instead of settling down for an evening in the warm at home we opted to go and sit outdoors for three and half hours. This was the first athletics meeting we have worked at for some time.
It was a busy meeting - more athletes wanting to race for times than I had expected.
The evening gradually grew colder - and in the middle was a thunder storm. At times like that we are glad to be timekeepers for we were able to scurry under cover and continue with the job in hand. This doesn't happen at many tracks, and even at Crawley the cover for timekeepers is sparse - but there is no cover for those out on the field.
I borrowed a pair of gloves because my hands felt really cold.
As usual there was friendly conversation as we were worked - catching up with the news of old friends and meeting some new ones.
This evening there were 2 timekeepers from Surrey who have just embarked on the hobby. Bill worked with Dave and I worked with Donna.
I just happened to mention that I had been out of action with health problems - and then added how wonderful the hospital had been. She concurred with my opinion, telling me that she had had very major surgery and soon we were discussing everything. She had a liver transplant at the beginning of last year.
So, despite the cold it was a good evening.

During the day I completed all the describing for EBay that I had planned to do - all ready for listing on Sunday.

Oh - I am yawning so much; yes, I am tired but I think some of the yawns are as a result of the tension in my body caused by the cold.
I am looking forward to bed.
Goodnight.