Sunday, April 20, 2008

 

20th April. Farewell to Bill the cyclist.

Things got a bit better today - my health and the weather.

I woke up feeling queasy again and very fragile.
I have been forced to look hard at what I have been eating and maybe I have found a culprit.
I can remember talking to the dietician and asking her about soya milk and I seem to have found a subject she knew little about. I pointed out that soya milk is made from soya beans and that beans should be restricted on my low potassium diet. She really didn't know what to say and just offered the advice that I should treat it like ordinary milk, which I should have some of on the low potassium diet. It's a pity that I other parts of my failing body demand that I shouldn't have it.
Anyway I have had very little soya milk until recently. Breakfast has evolved for me without breakfast cereals, which are standard breakfast fare in our land.
But recently I discovered a natural soya yoghurt which is very refreshing and I have had a small bowl of it for my supper most evenings.
I shall now go without that pleasure for a while, at least, and see if I start to get a little more back to normal.

Despite feeling pretty rough first thing I got up and we went to Dorking and Horley to search for items of interest.
I came home with a good supply of books - 10 on the history of Liverpool town and port and a large heavy book on the history of Bristow helicopters.
I looks forward to getting them onto EBay - but it won't be until next month.

This afternoon Bill was in the shop, so he missed the fun of watching his bike get to its highest bid. There had been almost 700 hits on this description and the bike finally sold for £102. The bike is already in its new home (a biking family) and will be ridden to the station tomorrow morning when the new owner (who drove the 45 minutes to pick it up straight away) starts his journey to work.
I also sold a few books.

The rain which was threatened for this afternoon failed to arrive and for a while there was some sunshine which lifted the spirits.

Bill, in the shop, learned that the woman who might have been interested in taking over the shop had changed her mind. She liked the idea, but not all the practicalities. I am sure that I would not have wanted to stay anyway.

Well, I have been working quite hard today, so time for a sit down to relax before getting some sleep.
I wonder if Bill will choose to sleep in the spare room tomorrow night - we have a new single bed being delivered and I am sure he will want to try it out. The old one, which had been Bill's father's went to the tip on Friday.

Have a good week. I will try to.