Thursday, June 27, 2013

 

the garden and a pub....George and Dragon, Houghton.

There has been a little rain this evening - but not enough to dampen the spirits of Sussex kids competing in the Under 13s League.
I doubt that it was enough either for the new plants in the garden.






















































































I bought some more plants this morning - 6 at 50p each and a couple of slightly more expensive ones.
I must find space or pots tomorrow.
Car boot sales are always good places to buy plants.
I bought other things of course, but looking at all now, strewn across the dining room table, I am not sure that any of it really excites me.
After the car boot sale we went to Littlehampton for food and a walk.
But that wasn't enough - Bill is getting accustomed to treats!
We stopped at The George and Dragon in Houghton, a village on the side of Bury Hill.
I have always been attracted by this pub, but have never stopped there before.


























The hanging baskets always look superb.
It is a smart pub when it comes to eating.....well, prices are a little above what we normally choose to pay.
Oh, and it seems that Nigel Farrage is a regular.

We took our half pints out to the balcony overlooking the garden and the view across the Arun Valley to Bury.






































I suspect Charles II partook of a good deal more ale than I did.



























And this evening we were at the Horsham track.
It was a lot of fun and I really appreciated not being chief - so much more relaxing.
Afterwards we returned to an activity that started the day - bargain hunting.
If you catch it right in Tescosclose to the track, there are bargains to be had. I began with turkey fillets (6 for £1.20)  and some garlic sausage for 13p.
In the green grocery department we I did even better.
I picked up a bag of crunchy radishes for 1p. That's the same price as I paid for a pack of egg noodles, which I will stir fry in the morning for breakfast.You have to be there at final reduction time and just before they decide to throw away unsold items.








This page is powered by Blogger