Wednesday, August 15, 2012

 

We were needed.

Shopping done - should be sorted for a couple of weeks, apart from bread and milk.
And next week we will be away for a few days.
I have selected 66 photos to form into a photo book for Young E. Now all I have to do is decide if I shall make the book myself on line or get somebody to help me in a shop.
This evening we have been to Brighton for an athletics meeting.
It began in lovely sunshine, but by the time we left there was a hint of autumn in the air.
We arrived there early. I had chatted with Barbara and we decided to meet in the pub before the meeting and have a meal together.
It was a carvery - thus my plate was much too full; how could I refuse unlimited vegetables, including roast potatoes?
Only £3.99.
Barbara and I tried to pretend we could hand over the duties of chief timekeeper to somebody else.
Finally Barbara realised that she had better do it......until 5 minutes before the meeting started.
There was a shortage of track judges and she offered her services.
Leaving me to be the chief timekeeper!
Mind you, with the electric timekeeping used sometimes at Brighton, it is easy for timekeepers to feel redundant.
But - one athlete was missed by the electric system; just as well we humans were efficient and I could offer a manual time.
It is nice to be needed!