Friday, July 20, 2012

 

Olympic Torch. Redhill marshalling.

Today marshalling.
We were in Redhill at 10 o'clock. We signed in and had a cup of tea at The Harlequin Theatre and met up with some people we know.
We collected a sandwich and water and soon, in our groups were taken to our marshalling posts.
We were just outside the town centre on the East side.
Cautiousness had led to marshals being deployed much too early. We stood around and talked.

Nobody came to be marshalled.
This was my beat....below a smart pub.




















I went in to make use of their facilities and found beautiful eating rooms.



















I chatted with this woman - the first to arrive.
She had run the London Marathon in 1995.
I am guessing that the jacket had not been washed in all that time.

I have to say I had permission from all the people I took portrait photographs of.














This face painted boy was with his family....and they decided to go home for some lunch and then come back.


















Another early arrival. I think the dog and his owners went into the pub for a while.



















Just lovely!






















I asked a woman I had been talking with to take a photograph of me and the people.

Another little charmer wearing an Olympic headband.




















There was 2 tier viewing.













Street sellers had flame sticks for sale.















Another beauty with her flame.

There was lots of chatting and laughing amongst all the people as they waited for the Olympic flame.

















James, aged 61.






















































The passing of the torch was over in a flash.
People turned to each other with smiles to share the experience.
The marshals waited and helped, where necessary, until the people had dispersed.
We were ready for a cup of tea and sit down back at The Harlequin Theatre.