Tuesday, November 22, 2011

 

Brighton - last home of Great Granny.

I described yesterday as routine.......but it never reached the depths of routineness that today provided.
The weather was below par and so was life.
I guess it was a much needed day of rest.
I have pottered with getting things ready for EBay.
I am very pleased with a map I bought on Sunday. Its a Brighton street map - from some date before 1922. I know that because the London Brighton and South Coast Railway is marked and this became Southern Railway in 1922.
Brighton was smaller then. Parts which are built up now were no more than farms.
I just looked up Egremont Place which was where my Great Granny lived in her latter years - quite a while after this map was published.
Perhaps next time we are in Brighton we should go and see if No 85 is still there.
I feel sure that others will think it as fascinating as I do. I will list it on EBay tomorrow.

Egremont Place is now a street of small flats.
I presume that Great Granny lived in a flat too. She died in this street at the beginning of 1946. She was 91. I was about 18 months old she and I had met.




I don't know when this photo was taken.
It looks like Great Granny is very old . But in those days people from middle age onwards could look old.