Monday, July 18, 2011

 

Mercedes World.

Sleepy now! Just stirred from my slumbers on the sofa.
The day at the shop was quite busy and we enjoyed celebrating Julie's birthday.
I wonder how old she is!
I sold well during the last week.
I sell things almost everyday - today it was a 1950s egg cup set and two small kitchen gadgets.

But now I will return to yesterday and share with you some pictures (too many pictures really) of our time at Mercedes World. It has been hard editing our pictures down to a something like manageable amount.
But I think the selection show what the place is all about and our story of being there.




I really liked the car on the right; I could imagine driving it.
I am not a car freak, but actually I do enjoy driving and I believe I am pretty good at it.
In fact I think the only thing my father ever told me I was good at was driving.

I liked the cars. I can appreciate design and can see a beauty in things that are well designed.
Above all I loved the building - superbly designed.

One of its best features, internally, was the escalator.......


The escalator sweeps from the ground floor straight up to the second floor.
I like the way the top of the escalator seems to merge into the arched ceiling feature and looks like it is curving on and up.
(P)


















Looking down was fun! (P)


A model of the very first motor car - a Daimler Benz.
The two men combined to form a company which later adopted the name Mercedes into their title.
A purchaser of one of the early cars insisted that it be called Mercedes, after his daughter. (B)


Now for the suspended, exploded Formula 1 car. These are Bill's pictures.










































Now we are in the VIP suite.
This is a Mercedes SLR, as owned by Lewis Hamilton.
He obviously had a spare £360,000.







The Maybach is a Mercedes - the creme de la creme.
It has its own bonnet badge.
I am not sure how much you would need to own one. But rest assured, you would have to be exceedingly rich.


"I'll think about it" she told him.

Outside the VIP lounge is a show room of cars, old and new. One new car being tested and appraised is one without a steering wheel - it uses a joy stick.

Bill's photos of this car are accurately labelled - Mercedes SSK.
I didn't know its name, but I liked its features.

Bill and the first First Formula 1 car that Lewis Hamilton raced.


I liked the juxtoposition of the shiny car and the fine photograph of a man standing looking out over New York.







There was also activity outside.
People were paying to use the skid pans and paying to be driven fast round the track.
There are many options of driving training and activities available.












My eyes soon turned back to the building itself.


















On the way back through the building, I couldn't resist a bit of silliness.











We stopped on the road as we were leaving, for me to take another picture of the building.
Tomorrow is a quiet day - maybe waiting at home all day for the man to come and replace the screen on our TV.....any time between and 8.00am and 6 pm he said.