Tuesday, November 30, 2010

 

Wintry weather and hard work

It has been snowing for most of the day.
It was wet ploppy snow which settles on the grass but never seemed to amount to much.
But as darkness fell so did much more snow and now the street lights are picking out a much more wintry scene.
It is now deeper and more interesting.

We thought of going for a walk this morning - just to the post office and beyond. But it looked really gloomy and not at all photogenic, so we stayed home.
But I have enjoyed tales of some people's doings - and felt the frustration of others.
I like this Wiltshire tale from a boggling friend....

We had wet snow, very gloomy but I had some bread that I got cheap in Sainsburys yesterday so...... I made the effort (and it was an effort). I took a bag to sit on a bench, well I soon had company, quacking around my ankles practically ta...king my fingers off and some cheeky ones were helping themselves out of the bag. I fed them two loaves...... they were still quacking and honking (if that's what swans do when they want more). I then went to Waitrose and asked if they had any bread left over from yesterday that they couldn't sell, told them the reason and they gave more 4 loaves that were out of date yesterday. My faith in human nature has been restored. I found the whole thing very therapeutic.
That was Julie in Melksham.

Meg in Crystal Palace posted a little film of a pair of foxes playing in the snow in her South London garden.

Ashley in Bangor doesn't have much snow - but the pavements are treacherous and mostly on steep slopes. And of course he can see much snow on the mountain tops.

Family in Scotland are having life disrupted by the snow.
Nobody likes life to be disrupted - but a gentle reminder that man cannot control everything is not such a bad thing.

This afternoon there was not time to go out. We had lots to do.
All the things offered for sale on EBay today were Bill's - and everything sold.
All the Coco Cubs are packed up and ready to go - to Australia, USA, Holland and the UK. Bill's knowledge and work has boosted the family coffers quite well and dear little Tiny Tusks has sold for £58.
He also sold a boxed Dinky missile launcher - wanted down under for a very goodly sum, more than we expected.
Bill was in charge of wrapping and I have done all the clerical work.
The paperwork continues as payments come in.

Now I need the typewriter to get a bid. There are watchers - at some point I assume that one or more of them will take the plunge and start the bidding.

The snow will be around for a while longer. The forecast predicts snowing for most of tomorrow and temperatures below freezing.
We must get some photos.
Friday might be good - with some sunshine, though getting even colder.