Thursday, November 25, 2010

 

Cooking a fish pie.

My efforts at creativity in the kitchen will not last as long as Bill's creative work today.
My guess is that in 24 hours there will be not a trace of what I have made.
I cobbled together a fish pie - no recipe and a chance to use a few things up in fridge and cupboard.

First I gently fried some onion and red pepper - or should I say sauteed these days?
I love the colours of food.


Cauliflower looks bland - and on its own it often is.
But I suspect most of us in Britain can look back, savouring meals of cauliflower cheese.
Lovely red potatoes.



The first layer goes into the large pie dish.
That's the onions and pepper along with some left over carrots and broccoli.


The cauliflower made the second layer - and I added a handful of frozen peas.
Two tins of tuna in the store cupboard were opened.


Now for the sauce.
The first part is to make the roux.
I always smiled to myself when young, whilst making a roux. It seemed to me to be what a true housewife should be doing. And the books always say it is to be done delicately or lumps will appear.

Gradually add the milk - in this case it is rice milk.
I also added a spoonful or two of Tewkesbury mustard and horseradish to give it some bite.

Not a lump in sight!


The sauce went over the fish and vegetables.
The potatoes were now ready to be mashed.
The saucepans I use, by the way are over 45 years old.
I ordered them from a friend's catalogue before we got married. They were not highest quality pans - couldn't afford those; but they have served us very well.
The masher was more recently acquired - an Ikea find.

A little grated cheese for Bill's half of the pie.


Ready to be cooked. Needs about 45 minutes in the oven.


Leaving me with the washing up!


This evening we enjoyed a good meal.


Look at that crispy cheese.


That is quite a plate full of food.