Monday, November 29, 2010

 

As cold as the fridge

It is cold here!
Not as cold as in other parts of the country, but cold.
Our dear daughter in law (Mam in Thailand) doesn't really understand the meaning of the word "cold"; she has never experienced it. She tells you that she knows what it is to be cold - it is those moments when the temperature drops down to about 75 degrees and she feels the need of a cardigan!
Today I have reached for extra clothes - layer upon layer. I certainly didn't feel I was suffering.
But it was cold in the shop.

I have a thermometer in the fridge, to check that it is working efficiently and is cold enough. It should read 5 degrees C.
This morning I took a thermometer with me to the shop and put it on a shelf where I wanted to work by my area.
Guess what - I was working in a space that was as cold as my fridge!
The room did warm up during the day - by mid afternoon the thermometer had reached the dizzy heights of just about double figures.

By the shop door and the desk it was warm enough - the new efficient heater does its job - and Bill had taken in an extra heater too.

Not even re arranging some of my stuff warmed me up, but I am glad to make things look a bit different.
Not that customers bought anything of mine today - never mind, I had a good day on Saturday.
It was a pleasant day of chat.

My only trip out was to post parcels and to pop into Waitrose where some great fruit juice is on offer - bilberries and blackberries.
I enjoy being in a town like Dorking.
And I find that the Christmas decorations and shop displays are very cheering.
Bill and I might make a visit sometime before Christmas just to enjoy the atmosphere, visit the other antiques shops which we never have time to do and have lunch in The Spotted Dog.
I am hoping that there will be a good afternoon this week to go to Brighton.
I shall enjoy the lights, the skating rink in front of The Royal Pavilion and the millions of starlings forming shapes and patterns in the sky over the water's edge at dusk.
Tomorrow will not be a trip out day - we are promised some snow, although nothing very much. And Bill's Coco Cubs finish on EBay tomorrow afternoon.