Thursday, November 25, 2010

 

Bill makes up the furniture.

Today's blog is in two parts. Each section shows Bill and I at work, being creative.

Yesterday we returned from Ikea with two flat packs containing the new piece of furniture that was planned to be in our bedroom.


This shows the higgledy piggledy assortment of bits and pieces that made up my side of the bed this morning.
It hasn't all changed of course.
I will mention the chair again later.


This shows that I am not alone in hoarding and collecting things that interest and amuse me.
In fact I have been better than Bill at abandoning collections. I still have lots of souvenirs of people and places and also I have items connected with the Olympic and Commonwealth games.


Downstairs Bill sorted out all the pieces of wood.


And he cleaned the floor. Where does all the dust come from?


What an amazing amount of screws, hinges etc etc.


"Uh uh! Is one of the vital little pieces missing?"
It wasn't.

These are end pieces of the furniture.


Now we start to see how it will fit in.


Taking shape.


Getting hinges fixed.


It is finished.
As you see it is not a chest of drawers, which is what we went to Ikea for.
We had to be adaptable to cope with the limited space.
But we did choose something that takes up most of the space under the window.
The top drawers are important to me. I use one as a sort of bedside table.
My radio sits in the drawer over night and also my glass of water. I can reach them more easily from the pulled out drawer.
The old piece of furniture (so tatty) had such a drawer.

And so I am ready for bed.
The small little old second hand drawer unit remains - you can just see it this end of the new furniture.
What you will not see is the chair.
There is no room for it.
It is an incredibly special family chair.
My great grandfather, James Frost, spent the latter years of his life in that chair. He was crippled with arthritis and was carried up stairs in the chair.
I think it very possible that we just do not have room for it.
The time has come, I am thinking that a Frost chair should belong to somebody with the name of Frost.
I hope, therefore, Roger and Sue, that you will be happy to receive it.
Time for a cuppa - and then off to bed. We are weary.
Scroll down now to see my creative efforts of the day.