Sunday, February 07, 2010

 

Sports Hall Athletics - Then and Now.

Sunday evening!
I am so tired!
It is ever so on Sunday evenings it seems. There is the weekly struggle to stay awake for my favourite TV programmes - I failed this week.

We were out early again to see what treasures awaited us at the Dorking car boot sale - not many this week.

The highlight of the day has a been a lively and enjoyable athletics meeting - which took me on a long journey down memory lane to encounter the images of so many people who shared life with me over 25 years ago.

Where are they all now?
Some I know about - my own family.
Others I know a little about because they went to achieve fame and in one case, fortune.
Nick Buckfield who is the British record holder for pole vault competed for me.
Gareth Southgate was alo a team regular for me. He went on to play football for England - should have been captain (perhaps he was once or twice). He certainly captained, Crystal Palace, Aston villa and Middlesbrough and went on to be manager of Middlesbrough - until this year, when he was sacked. Poor Middlesbrough! They are floundering without him.

The event is for youngsters - under 15 years old. In my day the sports hall competition included seniors as well.
The athletics clubs of Sussex compete 4 times during the winter for a shield and for honour.

The running races are not run on a circular track but in the sportshall - back and forth from one end to the other, turning each end on a "bounce board". The start and finish is in the middle of the hall.
There are also field events - standing long jump, vertical high jump and shot putt, with a shot of the right weight and size.

The first event of its kind was in 1981 and I was persuaded to put a team together to represent Crawley.
I loved doing it. They were very happy times.
I actually watched the present Crawley team manager today and a sort of jealousy crept in - she had taken over my role! Though of course there have been other managers between her and me.

The races today were fun and well fought. Support from team mates and parents was huge and added to the atmosphere.
The outcome today was much as it was in my heyday - a win for Crawley!
Though I never actually got a girls' team onto the winner's rostrum.
The boy's team then consisted of Jamie and Ashley and many of the people who were part of their lives. As I said, we also had senior men in the team - and I found it hard to persuade seniors that this new type of competition was worthwhile.

One regular was James - a Welsh international, who was a magnificent hurdler. Seeing him flying over 3 foot 6 inch hurdles was an awe inspiring joy.
When we look back, like I have today, people might feel like they have been in touch with the ghosts of younger days.
Memories of James are indeed like that. He got leukaemia and died at The Royal Marsden at just about the same time that I had my very first dose of chemotherapy. He had got married just a few weeks before.
There are no hurdles races now.
Other seniors had to be cajoled from the ranks of willing parents to make up the numbers. You will see a photo of one speedy father in a moment!


Here we see the Under 13 boys relay team.
Jamie takes the baton from Dominic, while Wayne and Lee (the twins) watch and hope that Jamie brings the baton home for maximum points. Of course he did - they were a very speedy team.


Bill can't claim that this is out of focus because of his great speed!
You can see one of the bounce boards which the runner puts one foot on and turns back. The board is connected to a pillar with lights which count down the laps to the finish.


Ashley hands the baton on to Gareth Southgate - though only we know that, because only his waiting hand is in the photo.
Having won the shield, I, as manager, had to look after it and so both Jamie and Ashley were photographed with it at home.

These photos sum up a special time in my life.
Just think - I could still be doing it.
John Linfield organised the first event and is still the meeting organiser today.


This was the winning team in 1983.
James, the one who died, is holding the shield - the one on the left.
Jamie is in the back row - already much taller than the rest, including the seniors - well, perhaps Richard Edwards is the same height; I saw his father recently in Lidls.
Ashley is in the front - second from the right - next to Gareth.
Tim Kimber, in the front row is still a regular runner for the club.


This is 1984.
I am quite stylish aren't I?
I have been promised a photo from Karen Miller - who used to be in the girl's team way back then and is now one of the enthusiastic parents. It is a photo of the victorious team today - both girls and boys.
Well done Crawley Athletics Club. I was so happy to see such strength and enthusiasm. The club looks like it still has what we all enjoyed over 25 years ago and it bodes well for the future.

Labels: