Thursday, January 28, 2010

 

Back in the athletics groove

This will be short and sweet.
I am now very tired.
This evening has been so busy, but also very enjoyable.
We have been timekeeping at an athletics meeting - sprints in an indoor tube.
This was the best attended meeting that the Horsham club have ever put on in the tube.
Excellent.
Except that each athlete is promised three races!
The first round took an hour and a half - we envisaged being there until half past eleven!
But by the time the third round of races began, many people had gone home. Many are youngsters and needed to get home to bed and be up for school in the morning.
But for much of the evening the 50 metre races came thick and fast.
I was the chief timekeeper and on such an evening there is so little time that it was a matter of making quick decisions about the race, recording peoples' times and waving to the starter to get on with the next race.
I enjoyed it - I like to be thinking quickly.
But by the time the third round started, I was losing concentration.
We all wanted to go home - false starts were greeted with groans!

It was good to meet up with some of the athletics crowd again and catch up with news. It was a friendly team of timekeepers.

What of the rest of the day?
I have forgotten much of it!
We took 13 parcels to the post office this morning.
All of yesterday's sales have now been paid for - except the atlas.
I hope this person in France is not going to let me down.
But there were other bidders who I can contact if by chance there is no payment from the winning bidder.

Time for a quick drink and then off to bed.
Goodnight.