Monday, January 18, 2010

 

Mist and Onions

I started the morning feeling quite run down - wondering what ailment I was in for.
But it was a Monday morning, so no time for feeling sorry for myself - it was time for the familiar drive to Dorking.
As we left home it was really misty and murky.
I quoted from a child's rhyme on facebook before I left......."One misty, moisty morning when cloudy was the weather."
Ashley commented back that the words brought the sound of Maddy Prior's voice into his head - Steel-Eye Span recorded this song, mainly at the instigation of Tim Hart for an album of children's songs and nursery rhymes.
Sadly Tim Hart died on the Christmas Eve just gone.
Amazing where a simple thought about the weather can take you!

We arrived in Dorking and the sun was breaking through the mist.

We opened up the shop and we all got busy.
I had taken mostly items to put on my sale shelves - although when I came to go through my sales for the week I realised that it was mostly non sale items that had gone.
But everything got fitted in.

Gradually I felt much less under the weather. The shop seems to do that for people. It is a happy atmosphere and with interesting people to meet and things to do.

I have been taking photographs today - my theme for the shop blog this week is "colours of an open fire"; so lots of reds and oranges.
I shall put that all together tomorrow.

With my camera in my hand, I wandered back to the desk and asked "What shall I take a picture of now?"
Bill said "Me!"
So I took a picture of Bill working at the desk. I really like this picture.



Both Bill and I sold things today - not for lots of money, but selling almost daily keeps the coffers replenished.

And so I end the day feeling a bit tired - but contented. maybe I am not about to suffer any ailment.
I read today that eating an onion sandwich in the evening is good for clearing sinuses, stuffy noses, colds etc.
I might give it a try - though not tonight perhaps. I have beautiful memories of cheese and onion sandwiches and good beer!
Bill wonders if he might have to sleep in the spare room!

Labels: