Thursday, January 14, 2010

 

Troubled Times for People.

This evening I am troubled.
Not in a depressed sort of way - I can handle this.
I am just aware of so much suffering.
Most of my knowledge of the earthquake in Haiti comes from the radio - words make it seem very graphic; more so than the limited pictures we can see on TV.
Life was not good for the majority of the people of Haiti - well, not in any material sense.
But each person was part of a family and families the world over, whatever their material circumstances, feel the same bonds of love and the same feeling of helplessness when everything goes wrong.
It is impossible for us to truly imagine how it feels when absolutely everything is wiped out in one's world.
It must feel almost impossible to harbour any thoughts of how to begin to make things right.

Life throws all sorts of problems at all of us - but nothing on the scale of the earthquake or any of the other major natural disasters.

I am thinking today of my nephew, Cameron. Life threw him many problems until finally the multiple sclerosis that afflicted him took him from us. That was 10 years ago today.
I think of my elderly aunt who has battled hard to live as full a life as possible despite crippling arthritis, who now faces what we must assume will be the last few weeks of life. Cancer was discovered this week.
She is in the same hospital as her brother, my Uncle. He has battled with many physical problems and is now unable to walk or even stand. He is finding life confusing. It is to be hoped that a caring nursing home can be found very soon to make his last stages of life much more bearable.
My neighbour is off to a hospital tomorrow to spend some time with one of her closest friends - also now facing the last stage of life.
Having had some experience of cancer, the neighbour turned to me for advice about what to say and do.
All I can say is that the friend is living and is still the same person as ever she was - but probably finding life very confusing. I hope the two of them can find the opportunity for some hugs and some laughs as they always would have done.
So many people facing a life that is confusing. I have also been a listener to another who thinks that life is hardly worth living.

I am not depressed - I am actually thankful that at this moment I am strong enough to take on board some of these other problems.
I am aware that my life feels quite easy just now.
Despite the fearful gut problems caused by the antibiotics.
Never mind gut - the tablets are finished - you will soon settle just a bit!

The weather, however, started to look a bit depressing.
We have had rain and fog. It looked so dreary.
I must not object - it is how it is.
I enjoy the extremes of weather and marvel in the variety of each end of the spectrum.
I envy The Thai Monks their heat - but feel they miss out on the distinct 4 seasons that we have.
So I must happily accept the dreary rain and fog I guess.

I didn't go to the dentist today. I checked my diary and realised it was only 2 months since I last went. My teeth give many problems and I am in that chair several times a year. It was agreed that I might as well attempt to go a full 6 months before seeing him again.

I listed a few more items on EBay.

And that has been my day. Tomorrow we are taking Frieda to Wetherspoons in Horley for lunch and then to do some shopping. She has not got out for 10 days now.
Goodnight.