Monday, January 04, 2010

 

Monday in the shop again.

Life appears to be perfectly normal now.
It has been Monday and we have been busy in Pilgrims Antiques.

The world looked so wintry as we got up and then drove to Dorking.
But at least we were driving - in some parts of the UK that just isn't possible.

Our first task of the day was to get warm!
The shop was so cold.
Heaters were soon blasting out some heat.
And I worked - and that can make you feel warm too.

I had 3 boxes full of things that might have found their way to a car boot sale one day - in fact they still might.
The aim was to move around as much as I needed, so as to have a complete shelf unit free for my January sale.
In 4 weeks I will take out everything that has not sold and the boxes will be ready for a summer car boot sale.
Yes, every item on these shelves is £5 or less. Bargains galore!
Bill has also been re-arranging. He'll do it again next week because he hopes to have a lot of the model railway items ready.
I had surmised that Julie (our French colleague) would not make it in.
When she phoned early she had decided perhaps to stay at home. She has been suffering from a bad cough and the roads looked rather icy - though all main roads were no problem.
Maybe I helped her to change her mind.
I talked to her in French and we laughed a lot. She knew that she needed to pick up the pieces of normal life.
Later, bless her, she told me that she was very impressed with my French accent - normally the phone makes things sound worse but my accent was good.
I know it can be good - its just a shame, I guess, that my vocabulary is not very extensive.
A double blessing from Julie today for she gave us a bottle of Dubonnet - even better than red wine as a cure all, Julie claims.
I look forward to it. It is many years since I used to drink Dubonnet, thinking that I was both trendy and sophisticated.
I took some pictures for the shop blog. I did it much more quickly today - not setting up my little "studio". Most items were photographed where they had been placed on the shelves.
My theme this week, with New Year in mind is the measurement of time.
I will write it up tomorrow.
Meanwhile there were customers.
Both Bill and I sold things today.
Customers are always good company - well, nearly always!
A late person was a man known to us all.
I am afraid he and I took great pleasure in trying to knock some holes in statements from Monika.
There is much she thinks that I can sympathise with.
But she mixes belief systems with scientific fact - and this alone justifies her beliefs.
We all have beliefs and ways of life which include things we think and believe. We evolve a way of life that suits us and beliefs that make us feel secure and comfortable. There is nothing wrong with that - it is how it should be maybe.
Though having said that I am suddenly aware that some people can use their belief systems to justify what most of us would consider to be evil.
Whatever - beliefs and faith, however important to us, cannot be proved by scientific analysis.
The customer and I muddled poor Monika - she will have to return to her books to ensure she knows what she is believing in. And I am all for that if it will bring peace and security for her.
And so it was home time.
I am still running on adrenalin - Bill is just tired out.

Labels: