Sunday, January 10, 2010

 

Have you got cabin fever?

So, now we all have cabin fever!
I have heard this expression a few times now, describing a situation where individuals are stuck indoors because the weather and conditions make going out uncomfortable.
Agreed! It can feel frustrating not to be able to do the things that we want to do and normally do.
But so far, it has only been for 5 days - and in that time most people have got out in some form or other.
And the forecast for the 5 days ahead suggests that, whilst our snow may remain on the ground, life will get back to normal. It will be cold and grey - but very little more snow should fall in these parts.

Tomorrow we plan to be in Dorking as usual. Monika, who works with us, lives in Dorking and says that even the pavements are not causing any bother.
Our only concern is if pipes are still frozen up.
The outside loo could be frozen. This might affect me..... the long course of strong antibiotics are requiring me to visit such a place far too frequently.
I have been told that there is a loo in Waitrose - about 3 minutes walk away.

But I shall be glad to be out and being normal in the shop.
Monika expressed the thought that the cabin fever people are suffering from will drive them out and into our shop.
I wonder.

Maybe today the dreaded cabin fever got me in its grip.
I didn't actually get dressed until about 1 o'clock.
And I don't feel I ever really got started on activities.

Bill has been trying to sort out minor problems on his computer.
I feel that there was nothing so wrong that it didn't do what he wanted.
He wanted his hard drives updated.
Basically he tried to fix something when there was nothing broken - or that's how it seems to me.
No doubt I could very justifiably be told that as I don't understand I shouldn't comment.
The outcome - as he just, so rightly, said is that he has "buggered it".
His computer won't work.
When it comes to computers - leave things alone.
I suspect he will have to get help - and this , as ever, will be costly.

For me, a computer is to be used - not fiddled with.
But what do I know?

The evening has been enhanced with the return of Lark Pies!
That was the affectionate name given to this series (Lark Rise to Candleford) by Victoria Wood.
It is gentle and well made, with lovely photography.
The old fashioned home spun philosophies are just right for a Sunday evening.

Time for bed soon - hope I sleep a little better.
I found the talking programmes on the radio just a bit tedious last night and I turned to Radio 2 and so enjoyed music to chill out to - including Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond". I had not heard it before.

Jamie has written on his weather blog today - contrast Goffs Park in the snow with John playing on the beach at his birthday party.
http://phuket-weather.blogspot.com/