Saturday, January 16, 2010

 

Ramblings on a Saturday

When we were in the shop last Monday, Monika was wondering if my coffee table would do better on EBay.
Its a 1950's style table, red - with screw in black legs, in the shape of an artist's palette.
I agreed with Monika and decided that if EBay offered a free listing day it should be described for the worldwide web.
I paid £25 for it at a car boot sale in Canterbury when we were on holiday last October, so it will need quite a high opening bid, so that I don't lose any money. I have a £45 price ticket on it at the shop.

And what should I discover on Friday?
Sunday is a free listing day!

Tomorrow morning, when we are promised some clear skies, we will go to Dorking for the car boot sale and then into the shop to collect the table and probably one or two other bits.

I already have 27 items to list tomorrow - I have been busy today.
So has Bill. He did all the photographs for me.Bill now has 4 bits ready for tomorrow and may get some more from the shop.
If the big model aeroplane didn't sell yesterday then he will put that on EBay.
I have been describing some of the potentially valuable books that I bought from some people in Woking.
This includes a big hard back 1842 atlas and a book by Sir Russell Flint (artist) with plates of his drawings.
I also have a shoulder bag - apparently a desirable make that I bought in a charity shop to use, but have since adopted another big shoulder bag that I found at a car boot sale.
If lots sold well we will be busy again in 11 days time, wrapping etc.
As I described, I was "chatting" with Jamie and Mam.
Saturday is Jamie's day off.
Today they have been to a museum and then to the beach bar.
That was another compromise about our trip to Thailand - we have opted to go when the Beach bar will be closed for the low season.
The mining museum has just opened - not yet completely finished.
It is situated along a road that winds through the hills, which few tourists would know about.
This could be yet another very interesting attraction that fails to get promoted well enough.
The children enjoyed their visit.
Here is Jessica investigating what seemed to be a smooth piece of rock and finding all sorts of details when the surface was magnified.
I am so glad that Jessica and John all those miles away like to do some of the sorts of things that we as parents encouraged our own children to do.
Perhaps we didn't do such a bad job as parents - our sons encourage their children as we did too.
Bill has also been busy today with his computer - remember it was in trouble.
Before he fitted the new hard drive which he sent for, he fiddled with the old one.
Guess what?
The computer sprang into life!
Just shows how little the so called experts know.
But Bill didn't know what he had done to cause the problem and wanted advice.
He still has to re - install all the programmes that had been on it before, because re-installing Windows had wiped it clean.
Or something!
I don't understand this language!
Weather has been horrible. Gone is the bright snow - which I know has caused a lot of problems - and I am looking back nostalgically, for the rain has looked really gloomy.
Talking of snow problems - did you hear about the comments of BNP leader Nick Griffin?
How can we think of giving money to the people of Haiti when people have suffered here in the UK from cold homes and untreated roads?
And I am not wanting to underplay the problems and the fact that there have been some deaths in the UK from the cold and road traffic accidents.
But really!
How can the two situations be compared?

Labels: