Sunday, January 17, 2010

 

The journey

I am so tired this evening.
Bother it! I fell asleep before the end of Lark Rise.

The early start maybe was a sudden jolt to the system - after many weeks without hunting at car boot sales.
But what a lovely morning it was!
So lovely that the drive back home from Dorking at half past nine was fraught with the problems of a very bright low sun.
At Dorking the first job is to go to see Michael - "my man".
He always seems to have something for me to buy. I bought a good early Ladybird book about wild flowers (with its dust wrapper -I don't have them without). And I bought a set of patience playing cards in a very 1950s plastic sort of book cover packet, also a white glass vase, very 1960s in style.
We will still get him (Michael) to sort out flooring in the kitchen/dining room - when we get round to it.
I bought quite a few other books, including a good history of Dorking.
I also bought some 1950s children's birthday cards.
Oh and Michael had real bargains for me. I use my Parker fountain pen nearly all the time for writing. It takes cartridges and I particularly prefer the royal blue washable ink. He had packets of cartridges which he sold for 20p each.
We met Jo and Monika at Dorking.

Then we went to the shop to collect a few bits to list on EBay. I wanted the 1950s coffee table. Bill got an aeroplane model - but not the big one he had, for that did sell on Friday.

Back home we finished all the describing and listed a total of 35 items today.
The shoulder bag with the very good name got a watcher within minutes.

The thing with most watchers so far is the 1842 atlas. I have started the bidding at £24.50. Of course all the watchers are now hoping to get it for that! I suspect it could go up to a 3 figure sum.
Here is a map of Africa from the atlas, which I find really interesting.
So much unexplored and so many unfamiliar names.
Enlarge it and take a look.



The table has not yet persuaded anybody to select it to specially watch.
I hope that it will - still 10 days to go.




So by listing all these things we have embarked on another adventure. The journey is fun as we watch what happens and deal with any queries. The outcome is unknown, but could be good.

Marriage can be described in a similar way.
Sadly we learned today that the marriage of one our nieces is ending after 12 years. So sorry Jo.

Well, I shall be off to bed very soon. I shall have to sort out what I want to take to the shop in the morning.
I seemed to have spaces on the SALE shelves.
The weather should be pleasant tomorrow.
There is a the threat of a bit more snow on Wednesday.
One face book comment today, from a distant relation, suggested that this was nothing short of a catastrophe. I wanted to say that a devastating earthquake might be deemed to be just a bit more of a problem! But whats the point upsetting somebody?

Goodnight!

Labels: