Wednesday, January 27, 2010

 

Ode to an atlas.

A day of good things.

I offer thanks to an atlas. I have enjoyed studying the pages of the 1842 atlas.
I thought it was quite special.
So, it seems, did the Ebay bidders of the world.
This morning I checked it before we went for some food shopping.
Oh Wow! It was due to sell for £310.

When we got home I checked again.
Oh *********** - double Wow!
There had been a bidding war going on in my absence.
A man in France had the top bid - hold your breath....."£471.99".

This is the most that I have ever sold an item for.
Such a lucky break comes rarely.

It is wrapped and ready to go.

But first, enjoy a look at Australia. It is so empty in the middle that the map maker felt he could put Tasmania into that space - or Van Diemans Land as it was then known.



Of course we have been busy with EBay business for much of the day. Lots of other things sold well too.

Our shopping was done in Lidl this week - and by good fortune we met good friend Marion. So, now we have a lunch date for next week.

This evening we have been sharing a meal with Michael and Beverley - Bill's brother and his wife. It was Mick's birthday yesterday - he is 15 years (almost) younger than Bill.
It felt good to invite them round for a dinner rather than send a birthday card.
We feasted well and talked lots.

We have seen images of our great nephew or niece - only about 10 weeks now. Baby is small but growing normally. Megan and Tom's baby will bring our total to about 25. There are some families I am not completely certain about. Bill's brother Ian's family seems to be producing children quite regularly - are there 5 of them now? And the American Frost family have 2 children now, I think. I wait to be corrected on that one maybe.

And now to bed.
Goodnight.

Labels: ,