Tuesday, January 26, 2010

 

Some have worked harder than others.

The day has not really got going.
Not for me - the man outside on the digger, well, he has worked really hard.
Work began at half past seven and already he has dug out where the footings must go on the far side of the building.
At the same time as feeling sad, we are trying to take an interest in the goings on.
We need to do this so as to feel positive and save our sanity.
This morning as the digger man worked and Bill worked, I was busy creating a blog posting for Pilgrims Antiques.
I was working too - but enjoying myself,
Bill was busy doing some housework, bless him.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/
I am hoping that some of my pleasure in doing the blog for the shop shines through - people tell me so.
Frieda popped round later in the morning and gave us another Frieda-ism to enjoy.
She was telling me that she had cut out a picture from a magazine of a dog with long legs (she thought it could be called a greyhound) which was nuzzling up to a young fawn.
"It said in the magazine (she calls them books) that the greyhound was a girl dog. I didn't think you could get those" she said.
I chuckled a little and reminded her that greyhounds need the females - or how would there be new puppies?
In admiration, she commented "You think things through much more than me."
The plan was, this afternoon to describe more things for EBay. I got waylaid and only did two. Bill did just a few more. At least when the auctions for our things finish tomorrow, we will still have things for sale.
And the finish tomorrow could prove to feel quite emotional.
I am whispering this next bit, behind my hand...... the 1842 atlas now has a bid of over £300.
I was happy to be held up and use another of my little talents.
My time with the cancer self help group benefited me in more ways than carrying me through a very bad time.
I took on a certain amount of telephone counselling - we advertised that somebody would be there to talk to 24 hours a day.
Today I have been listening and advising a friend who has a friend with cancer.
I made it clear that none of us could do anything for the cancer patient unless she herself wanted the help. But I did discover a cancer self help group in her area and hope that maybe she can be pointed in that direction.
I was also able to explain much more about the nature of the disease and chemotherapy. People with little of experience of cancer (lucky them) seem to think that chemotherapy is just one drug and always the same for all cancers. I explained about the cocktail of drugs which can be constantly tinkered with.
I don't know if the cancer person is in a terminal condition or not. She will be seeing staff at her local hospice this week. I thought it wise to to open the door to the possibility that the end could be nigh and maybe she already knows this.
And I had another reminder today of my own physical fragility. I have suffered a succession of wee bag problems in the last 10 days. This morning I decided that I must try to ensure that bag changing took place at a time of my choosing - not forced on me by embarrassing circumstances.
How long did the new bag stay on for? About 6 hours!
It is starting to knock my confidence a bit.
Sorry to remind you of things that you maybe don't want to know about..... but this is my journal and I like to be able to off load bad things, as well as the good.
Tomorrow is another day. Some shopping will be done.
Bill's brother Michael and his wife are coming for dinner tomorrow evening - our birthday treat for Michael.
And of course we have to deal with wrapping and sorting out the sales. There is a coffee table to be wrapped - fortunately the legs are detachable.