Tuesday, February 02, 2010

 

Lovely Day.

What a lovely day it has been!
And even the rain was much less than predicted.

The good news of the morning was that my buyer of the 1842 atlas has now paid for his purchase. It is now in the postal system. I decided to pay for extra insurance - I can't afford for something of that value to go missing. I am sure my buyer is honest - for 99.9% of people are, I believe.
But it could be all too easy to claim the atlas never arrived and ask me what I intended to do about it.
I guess some sellers would reply "Nothing". But I wouldn't be able to do that - even though I offered the chance to pay for extra insurance himself.
Now I just have to wait in hope that he is satisfied with his purchase - though I don't think he could have any valid reason not to be.

I enjoyed the morning with my pictures for the latest posting on the Pilgrims Antiques Centre blog.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/

And then we went out to visit our good friends Marion and Robin. These 2 good people have been in our lives a long time and it wasn't until a German visitor pointed it out to me that I even thought of Robin Hood!
We had a lovely lunch of my favourite things - home made soup, jacket potatoes and salad, and fresh fruit salad.
And then we talked and talked.
Lets be honest - between us we all have a lot of most interesting ailments to talk about!

One item of conversation was Lark Rise to Candelford, the delightful series based on the book set in rural England in the late 1800s. Sundays episode was of how the women and children of the village would follow the men with their scythes cutting the wheat to collect enough grain for their personal use through the winter.
It could have been a tragedy because a measles epidemic struck down most of the children of the village which meant mothers should have stayed home to nurse their sick little ones. Then there would have been no flour for bread through the winter months.
Marion missed the word they used altogether and I am sure it was something like leasing or leesing or some such spelling. I may also have not caught it right.
We presumed it had much the same meaning as gleaning.
But I can't find any mention of that word anywhere on any web site, including those that give synonyms for words.
Perhaps it was only ever used in a particular locality - the village is somewhere not too far from Oxford.
Can anybody help?
Sue - you are the one who is really good on these more obscure, but correct words for rural practices. Have you any idea of the word we are searching for?

Thank you again Marion and Robin for making us feel so welcome and loved.

The workers outside our house are doing so much.
Bill will be photographing in the morning, for sure.
Late last night there was a huge pile of earth (clay) along by the fence.
This morning a bright blue portacabin was lifted into place - fortunately end on rather than sideways on or it would have blocked our vision completely.
Deep footings have been dug. Concrete has arrived and a huge crane thing is there too.
They were still working when we got back from M and R's at quarter to seven this evening. I guess if concrete had arrived then it had to be dealt with.
I think I can pat myself on the back for having watched the demise of "our" field so calmly. I have truly learned that there is no point ruining my own mental welfare by fretting about things I cannot change.
Or maybe its not down to my good sense - just the happy pills!
We tried to change things last year - always a hopeless task of course.
Now we have to accept or uproot ourselves and we probably don't have the money or the will to do that.

Time for a cup of tea soon - and then snuggle down for some sleep.
Good night.