Monday, February 01, 2010

 

No need for tears today.

I'll start at the end.....the end of the working day.


I like Radio 2 - the music played is mostly to my taste and all sorts of interesting topics are raised by presenters and experts.
On the way home from the shop a topic discussed was crying.
I was almost ashamed at my lack of curiosity - 65 years old and I had never thought before about where the water comes from which make tears. Of course it is not just water - the lachrymal gland filters out other things from the blood besides water. Salt, we would all mostly know about - there are also oils and proteins.

The eye also provides a drain in the lower eyelid which takes the tears away; the lachrymal duct allows tears to drain through and reach your nasal cavity.
A good cry often leads to the need for a hanky to blow one's nose - now I know why.

There was also discussion about why we cry. It is almost certainly only humans who produce tears as a result of strong emotion. And the tears we shed whilst uncontrollably distraught are not the same chemical make up as those we weep when supremely happy.

And all this was raised because Andy Murray wept a little after he was beaten by Roger Federer yesterday. His comment was that he could cry as well as Roger (who cried tears of joy when winning the same tournament last year) and he (Andy) just wished he could play as well as Roger.


I have experienced nothing today to produce tears - at least no more than the constant gentle washing that our eyes receive each day from tears.

We were greeted by another new window display created by Sue.
Her theme was Valentine's Day.
It looked great.
This prompted me to change my plans for my blog posting this week. I had thought that I might do Valentine's Day next Monday, but decided I would complement the window display, as well as I could.

I will put it together tomorrow morning.


It has been pleasant and busy in the shop - sadly neither Bill or I sold anything for ourselves today. I have now sold 18 items on my SALE shelves. I shall give it 10 more days, and then the unsold things can be boxed up again for a summer car boot sale.
I am now eager to move on and get my displays back to how I really like them with my 5 main sections.
We will make a special trip up to sort it all out, but not until next week.

I just started to write a sentence about the fact that the winning bidder of the atlas had not yet been in touch. Then I just decided to check the emails - and there it was, his promise that it would all be sorted out during this week.

I have been enjoying a documentary series about the British family in the latter half of the 20th century and how life has changed. That will be on soon.

Tomorrow we are going to see some friends for lunch.