Tuesday, June 16, 2009

 

Sunday May 17th boat trip to Buddha Island.

Today I am posting just a few mixed pictures taken on our trip to the Buddha Island.
Jamie has already told the story of the day much better than I could and so I do advise that if you haven't looked at his blog posting already, take a look for interesting information and photographs.

https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2009/06/koh-kaew-yai-boat-trip-from-rawai-beach.html


We began the day hunting for a suitable place for the children's breakfast.
They had some rice and Bill and I had fancy iced teas.

This is at Chalong Bay - a huge inlet to the south of the island between the two capes.


I liked the silhouettes of the workers, creating better paving at the water's edge.
Both men and women do manual work - mostly Burmese immigrants.
From there we drove the short distance to Rawai - tip of the western cape.
Mam and Jamie sorted a boat for us to take us to one of the nearby islands.
It was a dull and very slightly drizzly morning - but we decided to get on with things anyway, and it was a good trip.
Here are pictures taken by Mam of Jessica and John on the boat.






Here is the view of the Buddha as we approached the island.


Now we look back to our little boat in the bay as we climbed up to the many sacred sites.
The boat is a real problem for me - I lack flexibility and muscle strength.
I sit on the edge and try to swing my legs up and into the boat.
When I sit my weight takes the side of the boat down almost into the water and then a wave comes and lifts it up so my bum suddenly can't reach the boats edge.
The boatman, Jamie and Bill help to heave me in and I collapse onto the low bench at the back of the boat, knowing I wouldn't be able to manoeuvre down the boat.
But once seated all is well - apart from wondering how I will ever get out again!




The Buddha on the island.