Tuesday, November 04, 2008

 

Tuesday at home, kitchen developing. And Winkle Street.

The weather has been, I guess, the best its going to get this week; though there has been no sunshine.
The leaves on the trees in the front garden and the field beyond are looking so bright now in their autumn colours.
But I really didn't feel like going for a walk or having a meal out.
Last evening when I woke from a deep sleep I realised I had a raging sore throat.
It still feels painful and my head aches - but so far nothing else has developed.
Because I didn't feel like eating out we had to go and buy some food which could be microwaved.
We still have no cooker, no kitchen sink and no water.
But our man has worked so hard today. He arrived at 8 o'clock and worked through until gone half past four with no break apart from a succession of cups of tea.
I am beginning to see how good the new kitchen will look.

Bill and I sorted through all the IW photos and he now has a long list of pictures to be created into pages for our photograph album.
We always have to have a sort of editorial conference so that our separate pictures tell the same story.

This afternoon I described 7 items for EBay and listed them. Things are a bit quiet for me just now on EBay. I must work harder at it again.

Tomorrow there will be postcards selling.
One is of St Margaret's School - where I have been both a pupil and a teacher.
I have been contacted by a potential buyer who was a pupil there in my teaching days and we have been sharing memories.

Time soon for our fish meals from the micro wave.

No doubt I shall be hearing, during the night, of what's been happening in the USA. This is not the place to get political - but I really do hope that our hopes for Barack Obama will not lead to subsequent disappointment. Perhaps he will not be president; and if he is I guess he will not be able to deliver the new ideals that he talks of. But I do hope he is given the chance to try.

But first I will share with you Winkle Street.
We made a detour inland on our way to The Needles to explore the village of Calbourne and in particular - Winkle Street.

My first picture shows this quaint street and stream as portrayed by A Heaton Cooper in about 1916.


The work of a local artist was for sale outside a cottage door when we were there.



Thick thatch against a bright blue sky.





We took no pictures of the stream. There was a large bulldozer working, clearing out weed and sediment. It was ugly and noisy.
But these 2 old postcards show the water.


In the early 1900s residents stacked up faggots of wood by the stream.


Next time we really will get to The Needles, where I learned history.