Friday, October 31, 2008

 

31st Oct Chores, wonderful photography and a birthday!

The work goes on.
The last of the food cupboards has been emptied - apart from those things that get used frequently; tea, coffee etc will stay in the kitchen until Sunday afternoon.
And then I got busy at the office end of the room.
We have a chest of drawers which houses all sorts of stationery, paperclips, pens, pencils, scissors etc.
There are also price labels and packaging for posting postcards.
And there also are (were) a great number of notebooks. I can't resist them.
The thought of a virgin blank first page in a notebook excites me - what will be recorded there? What details of life? What dreams? What fancies?
Many that I have bought remain empty and as many came from car boot sales I have put a pile in a box which will eventually be taken to sell.
The paper skip has also had a lot dumped in it.
We are still not sure where this chest of drawers will end up. I would be sorry to see it go - we thought it very stylish when we bought it in 1966.

This afternoon we had chores to do away from home.
We have collected the carpet tiles from B & Q.
We bought a new container for the fat balls which the many bird visitors to the garden love. Our previous one was on the grass yesterday and has since been removed; perhaps by a human or maybe an animal dragged it away.
We did the main shopping in Lidls and then bought a few bits in Waitrose.

This evening it is clear and cold and we have been untroubled by children ringing the door bell to plead for a trick or a treat.
Perhaps making the effort to dress up to get treats was too much - after all life for many children is one long succession of treats.
There are of course fireworks exploding, though in the distance this evening.
Tomorrow some of the big displays take place and people will have firework parties at home too.

It is sort of a time for me to be celebrating too.
A year ago on this Friday evening I was drugged up to the nines and unaware of the implications of the bladder removal which had just happened.
The actual birthday date of my stoma is November 2nd - but the Friday will always feel significant.
Happy anniversary to the stoma which saved my life!

And now I will share some photographs taken by David Whistance, which were displayed at Dimbola.
Stunning!










Later on (several more days I should think!) I will be putting on photos taken by us at Alum Bay. They don't show quite the same fantastic forms that Whistance saw, but the shapes and colours at Alum Bay were special.