Sunday, November 02, 2008

 

2nd Nov. Work at home and looking back to Shanklin Beach

Sunday and a roast dinner is cooking in the oven, although the kitchen is virtually empty and has the echoey sound of a deserted room.

The dining room table is piled with things that we might need for the duration of the work and I hope is sufficiently out of the way not to disturb any of the workers.

Our main living room is crammed full - folding shelves with all sorts of kitchen things are at one end and the chest of drawers is at the front end.
My computer is in the middle.
The move has not pleased dear old compy. It is not coming up with letters fully formed, especially on outlook express and facebook.
It is not too bad here on the blog.
Bill has fiddled to try and improve things and neither of us knows why it has happened. All that has been done is the unplugging in one room and re-plugging in another room.
It is not disturbing me too much.

And I am trying not to feel disturbed by the removal of the old kitchen. It hardly compares with the trauma of what was removed on November 2nd last year.
I am thinking about that time more than I might have imagined.
This morning on TV there was a bit about a horrific fire which took the lives of 4 fire fighters on this day a year ago. "Why" I wondered "do I not remember that?" And then of course recalled that I was very occupied with other matters - in fact for almost all the day I knew nothing at all.

On this 1st Sunday in November memories of my life drive outside our house. It is the day of the veteran car run - or "old crocks race" as we used to call it.
I guess I must have seen some of the cars on the road today for the first time 59 years ago - just a couple of weeks after the family move to Crawley.
Today we saw very few. We were far too busy for them this year.

We went early to Dorking for the car boot sale. The weather was much more pleasant than yesterday. We met Jo there, who had been there longer than us and were greeted with the words that there was nothing there to buy.
All I did buy were books. And then we bought some greengrocery from the regular market trader.
Bill bought nothing.
We called in at Horley because it is on the way home and I bought some more books from one stall; and again Bill bought nothing.

Bill is watching the Brazilian Grand Prix - on the TV in our bedroom. I wonder if he has dozed off.
I am keeping up to date with the progress of the race by refreshing the BBC web page every few minutes - a much more peaceful way of seeing if Louis Hamiltom might possible win the World Championship this year.

And now back to sweet memories of the Isle of Wight.
After our stroll through the chine we walked on Shanklin beach and then took the lift up the cliff and walked back to the car, parked in the old village.





The old fisherman's cottage at the lower end of the chine is now a venue for meals and drinks - but only in the summer season. It was closed when we were there.



Beach views at Shanklin.
The second picture looks towards Culver Down where we walked in a howling gale on the Friday of our week.


I like clock towers - pity this clock was not working.
There is a drinking fountain on the side.


Just a pigeon - but he looks grand set against the fallen autumn leaves. We spotted him as we walked back through the woods to old Shanklin village and our parked car.
In my next chapter we will eat delicious soup by the sea and then see the most wonderful Isle of Wight glass.