Sunday, July 27, 2008

 

27th July Working and dozing

Working and dozing - that has been our day.

We went to 2 car boot sales this morning and this time it was Bill's turn to buy the most.
My best buy was a Midwinter jug - designed by Sir Peter Scott, the naturalist. His "Wild Geese" set was issued in the 1950s.





The jug was bought at Reigate - but there was not much to find.
So we decided to set off southwards to Poynings.
We met up with a couple of stall holders who we know - one of them was actually Graham who used to work with Bill at the college. Both Graham and the other one, Chris used to do a lot of the toy collector's fairs that we did and today were clearing stock.
Bill bought some model soldiers and animals from Graham and some model cars from Chris.
I didn't find much to sell on.
I bought a couple of "boho" tops - that's the fashion term, I gather, for retro smock type blouses.
And we bought a pretty pink check duvet cover and pillow case for Ekatarina's bed.

It has been hot today. "How hot?" Mam wanted to know. I think she was impressed that we had almost reached the Phuket levels.

This afternoon we slowly got all the purchases of the weekend written up.
Below is a picture of the glass we bought yesterday at Edenbridge. I particularly like the lustrous opalescent glass. That large piece with a sort of butterfly on is hollow, but still quite heavy.
The candle stick was bought in France at a sort of car boot sale/ flea market we found at a village fete in Normandy in 1994. That holiday meant a lot to me because it was our first holiday after all the health traumas of the previous 2 or 3 years. I was still quite weak, but during that holiday I found so many things that I wanted to do and I began to find some self confidence again.


The circular straw mat the glass is sitting on was one of the free items picked up at Edenbridge yesterday.

This evening we have, of course watched the final stage of The Tour de France. It was a race on the day and yet for the leaders it was more of a celebration of their achievements after 3, 500 Kilometres. The Spaniard in the yellow jersey had a glass of champagne whilst pedalling through the countryside into Paris!
Both of us actually had some difficulty staying awake after a tiring day in the sunshine.

Bill is now out watering the garden.

Tomorrow we shall go to Dorking to see what might have been sold - not much I am sure. We will take some fresh stock with us anyway.

And I have my last bits on EBay finishing until after Ashley and Ekatarina return home.

I will put the kettle on now so that we can have another drink before bedtime.
Goodnight.