Saturday, July 26, 2008

 

26th July Fun and games and out to tea.

We were up early on a sunny morning and went to Faygate car boot sale, which had many more stalls than last week.
I bought mostly items suitable to be listed on EBay at some point - but it will not be for a while, because I don't intend to do much during Ashley and Ekatarina's holiday.
During the morning I posted some parcels and then wrote up the Faygate purchases.
At about midday we were off out again; this time to the boot sale at Edenbridge. This sale was also much busier than last week.
Almost immediately we were standing before a stall filled with beautiful good quality paperweights and art glass - I wanted all of it! But we contented ourselves with just 4 pieces. One of them is now on the table in the lounge for us to enjoy for a while.
Bill carried the glass back to the car and then we were on our way again - up and down the aisles.
We turned one corner and I spied an item 30 or 40 yards away and told Bill that I had to have it! Of course I didn't know if it was damaged or not. It was perfect and is a match for the 1950's vase I bought (and photographed) at Ardingly antiques fair last Wednesday. This item has the same zebra pattern and is bright red on the interior.
Of course we don't just buy to make a profit, there are also many items for the home and garden that we can buy.
Bill bought a second cordless phone for us at home.
And I bought a dress - not just any old dress. If I did choose to buy clothes from a shop, then Monsoon might be the shop of choice. On the occasions that I have wandered in, I have wandered out fairly quickly because their clothes are quite expensive; indeed even on EBay second hand Monsoon clothes can be £20 or £30.
I bought a couple of books from Kate - ex of Rocking Horse. All of us who had been there have boxes of unwanted to stock to deal with.
We were almost back at the car when the fun began!
There was a woman house clearance dealer who began to put items down on one side of her tables and said that everything there was free - she just wanted her boxes emptied. Well, how could I resist? I filled bags with all sorts of items for home and garden - a cooking pot, a basket, candles, table mats, 2 nice walking sticks, railway magazines, a wooden box, music cassettes etc etc.
What fun!
But then we really did get on our way to go and visit Bill's cousin Ann and her husband Gordon.
We sat out in the garden with tea and cake - Bill had bought some lovely iced carrot cake at Faygate. I only had a sliver of this cake (honest) and contented myself with a meringue which is much more suitable for my body.
Ann and Gordon are good company and talk flows easily.
Gordon is now very fragile and finding life at 87 very hard.
It is hard also to realise that within a month, Ann will be 80. She says it cannot be true, because she is actually only 40!
We later sat indoors with some tea. I had taken a supply of rice cakes with me.
When we got home we sorted our things out a bit and then sat and enjoyed the penultimate stage of the Tour de France.
Today's stage was a time trial and it was assumed that the arrogant Aussie would claw back enough time on the pleasant Spaniard in the lead.
I yelled at Sastre, the Spaniard, to pedal like mad - and he did.
Therefore he, as leader, will be wearing the yellow jersey into Paris tomorrow. Convention has it that whoever is in yellow for the last day will be the final overall leader - so Sastre has won the Tour de France.
And now we must sort ourselves out for bed.
Yes, of course we will be up early for another hunting expedition in the morning.
Goodnight.