Thursday, October 10, 2013

 

High tea

Today was cold - under a bright blue sky this morning, but cold. The north wind was really uncomfortable....everybody seemed to be commenting on it at Ford.
We had only looked at half the stalls when a trip back to the car with a large item prompted Bill to say he would like to sit in the car.
I don't blame him......and the second half of the stalls only produce 2 books for me to buy.
I bought quite a lot of books. That's good - I sell quite a lot; I sell them cheaply - well compared with other people who sell second hand books.
It was the large item that thrilled me.
I looked at it longingly, as Bill tried to dissuade me.
I am so glad I didn't listen to him because I think I have something special.


People of a certain age will remember high chairs like this.
It hinges to form a low contraption on wheels - a baby walker.
I love the spindles of the chair back.






























And you would have to be of that same certain age to remember these "books" for storing and carrying your collection of 45s.













We were glad to get into the warmth of The George at Littlehampton.
Soon we were joined by Harry and Brian - last week I thought the latter's name was Bill.
He looks so thin and he had felt the cold dreadfully at Ford. He is the man with MS, in a wheel chair, who now has lung cancer.
His partner, Harry, said that Brian would have a biopsy done next week; but the consultant has already been told that there will be no cancer treatment which is invasive or distressing. Brian has enough to deal with.
I think the hope and dream is that they go to spend the winter in Malta. Harry didn't know how long for, but I sensed that he meant that he will stay there with Brian until the end.
Despite all this the atmosphere was jolly. Friends joined Harry and Brian. Linda and Wally called in to see how things were.
I said how much like a social club the place is and Harry agreed. He and Brian live in Rustington - "so up themselves" he said - "nobody talks or smiles there". He has made so many friends since visiting The George regularly.
We drove home via The Corn Store - an antiques centre at Pulborough.
Good grief - I saw some high prices there and it is no more special than Pilgrims.
It was the Ladybird books which made me laugh.
I found the most tatty copy of one - fit for the dustbin, in my opinion. It was priced £4.50. I sell a lot of Ladybird books - they are all in good condition and I charge just £2.
This afternoon, at home, we rested.
I am continuing with jigsaw puzzles. I am doing a steam locomotive one now.
And I wrote up the books that I had bought.
Well, it will be a bit warmer tomorrow, but no cheering- there will be quite a lot of rain by late morning and for the rest of the day.