Monday, December 03, 2012

 

A romantic tale.

I gave myself much to do at the shop today....and got almost all of it done.
First I had the pleasurable task of checking my sales for the week - very good!
Then I crossed off the items in my stock file and worked out the profit made. After all it is the profit that has to pay the rent, not the takings.
I had 2 boxes full of things to write up in the stock file and then arrange the things in my section.
And I added to the amount this morning by buying things from dear Iris - she is so lovely and admirable, playing the game of antiques dealing at the age of 86; I don't like to let her down.
I also bought a Monopoly game today.
Claudia, who quite often does a day in the shop, also works in the Hospice charity shop.
The person in charge today felt that the Monopoly set that had been donated might be worth a bit. I imagined that Claudia had come for a valuation.
Not so - charity shops these days, its seems, only want things that seem to be in pristine condition. Claudia thought that another of the people in charge there might have chucked this in the game in the bin.
Oh goodness, what should I offer?
This set obviously dates from the 1940s - playing pieces made of card slotted into a little wooden block. There is also a spinning wheel to replace dice, which were hard to come by at that time. It is complete.
I offered £15 and have priced it up to get £30. This evening I have seen one on the net which sold for £60.
How stupid of the charity shop not to aim to get this money!
I guess I shall feel like I should give some more money when it sells.
In between time there were customers of course.
Three decanters were sold today - Christmas is coming.
I sold a book that I had bought on Saturday at Ford.
But the best sale of the day - both money wise and for its interest - was a ring.
The gentleman who looked at it wanted, then doubted for a while that it was right, then wanted it again.
He went away and then came back.
We got chatting. No, this wasn't a Christmas present, this was much more special.
This was an engagement ring that his lady love didn't know she would be getting.
Don't worry - she won't be turning him down because actually a wedding day has been fixed for next November.
I enjoyed being just a little part in this story. Good luck to them both.
Early to bed tonight - I'm tired.
Tomorrow I will sort out some pictures of Durham.