Thursday, November 29, 2012

 

Afternoon in Newcastle. Chinatown and Baltic 39.

Wednesday afternoon (last week) in Newcastle.

First some general views as we walked from one place to another.



Reflecting in Newcastle.






































Who needs an art gallery? Graffiti art.


A couple of side streets.




































Gateway to Chinatown, with St. Jame's Park beyond - the home of Newcastle Football Club.















In Chinatown - loads of places to eat or buy ingredients to cook food.




















































Chinese bun shop. So many interesting things to choose from.
We opted to eat in - needed a sit down for a while.


Look who had 2 buns!



















That's my bun. The bun is slightly sweet, it was topped with ham and sweetcorn puree. The white stuff that looks like icing? I don't know....guess it was a sort of icing.
I drank iced lemon tea.....to remind me of Thailand.








Old woman relaxing in the bun shop.
I presume she follows a Chinese football team.












Our final destination of the day was Baltic 39. This is an offshoot of the major modern art gallery, which we had intended to visit. (Next time?). Baltic 39 is a 4 storey building in a side street and is a centre for art, with studios and workshops. The top floor is used for exhibitions.
When we were there we saw art from the collection of Jim Shaw, an American artist having a major exhibition in the main Baltic Gallery.
He collected a lot of original art, buying in American thrift shops and flea markets.
The fact that he had rescued a painting turned even a very poor piece of work into something interesting. Much of the amateur art was indeed poor - and therefore funny to see it hung in a gallery.
It is not often that one feels quite so free to laugh at the art in an art gallery!
This was my favourite.

It has a quaint naive look to it.
It makes me laugh every time I see it.













































This looks to be the work of some tortured mind.














I look forward to finding such original art for myself - I shall be scouring the car boot sale stalls.