Saturday, November 24, 2012

 

Buying at the station.

It was a cold, frosty morning - but the sun was shining.
Ashley came with us to Tynemouth - that's about 12 miles across Newcastle.
Every Saturday morning the station precinct is filled with stalls of all kinds. It is a lovely old station anyway....and exciting with stalls.
I was looking for things to take to the shop of course......and at first found that dealers were wanting more money than I would ask for things.
But gradually I found some things that I am pleased with.
There were stalls of non collectables too - interesting food stalls.
I loved the foods on Ridleys Fish and Game stall - they come from close by in Hexham.
It wasn't suitable for me to buy things, what with the long journey tomorrow......but the fresh game and range of game pies was superb; either would make excellent Christmas meals. I just might order a pie by post.
One of the fresh meats was unusual - squirrel; with the slogan "Save a red and eat a grey"

It turns out Grey Squirrels are really delicious to eat.
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage programme showed how to cook them and how tasty they are. Ridley's have supplied lots of grey squirrels - many to top local restaurants. This is helping to save the hard-pressed reds. 


If anybody would care to look, here is Ridley's web site.
http://www.ridleysfishandgame.co.uk/

But I am cross with myself for not buying something I would really have liked. OK £15 is a bit more than I would normally spend on a knitted hat, but these were really special. They were cloche 1920's style. Next time we are here, then one will return south with me.

We had actually left home that morning without a cup of tea - the kettle had died.
Yet again our visit has coincided with some household breakdown or disaster  - doesn't seem to matter which son we visit.
We walked, carrying all our purchases into Tynemouth for a much needed drink.
We sat in a converted chapel - converted into a variety of art and knick knack type shops.
Ashley and I had a pot of tea for 2 and a big pot of hot water  - enough for at least 4 cups each.
I then added another bag of purchases to be carried, buying some lovely things from a stall in the chapel.

Back home, the first priority was to go out again - to buy a kettle.
Also Liz wanted to load up with foods for the bird feeders - big sacks of peanuts etc.
We coveted some of the little animals in the pet shop - lovely rabbits and guinea pigs; though Liz felt she would rather have a bearded dragon.

Home to rest a while and later watch Strictly Come Dancing. I had the other half of my Chinese take away to eat up

So, another good day. Poor Ashley is feeling really run down with cold and has done well to keep busy with us.

Tomorrow we face the 330 miles back home again - that's about 6 hours of journey.