Monday, September 10, 2012

 

All change at Pilgrims.

It's too late to turn back now!
What I have done today is done - whether it is approved of or not.
Today I (and Bill) moved shelves in the shop.
You may recall that I was moving to another section to sell my collectables.
The first shock of the day was finding that the section I was moving to was full......Jo hadn't been able to finish clearing it and others had put things there too. SK ( who runs the shop) hadn't told anybody what was happening.
But then he also hadn't told anybody that he was going away on holiday.
Many things have been left wanting. Bags? Wrapping paper? No evidence of fresh supplies.
And worse - what if something went badly wrong? Where is he? Who is in charge?
So, I felt a bit negative.
Did I really want to move sections?
It involved a lot of work - much of it for Bill. My shelves would need adapting.; electrics would need moving.
Bill has created vaguely reasonable lighting in the existing area. The other end of the room seemed very dark.
No, why change things? I sell well in that area, tucked away at the back of the shop.
Then I decided to work on just a small change.
As I worked a scheme was hatched in my head. Why not take the new section and also keep a good part of the old section?
I couldn't ask SK of course.
But the more I thought of it, the more I wanted it.
And because I wanted it, I organised it.
No time for lunch today!
I organised and worked non stop. I had got that adrenalin rush and wanted to get things close to finished.
I have opened up my half of the room now - yes, I have half the room pretty well.
I am sure SK will like it - if he notices!
And if he notices he must see that I have grabbed more than we negotiated. Common sense tells me that he will need more rent - hopefully not twice as much. If it is twice as much, then I will fill it completely.
I am happy though; it may be that the shop has a limited life span now. I might as well create what I really want for the remaining time. And if the shop stays running, well, that's a bonus.
I can't see me losing money, even with a rent increase. But profits could be down quite dramatically.
But I am in it for pleasure and challenge more than anything else.
There is still some more work to be done - not too much. But we must sort out better lighting at the dark end. Soon it will be winter and no sunlight will flood through the little windows.
I (and probably Bill) will return tomorrow morning.
Jo and I can work on the remaining things we need to do and generally the 4 of us who will be there will enjoy each other's company.