Sunday, September 02, 2012

 

Happy time at the track

My seat on the timekeepers' steps at the Crawley track will remain empty now for about 6 months.
Today was our last meeting at home - and a very good meeting too.
Eleven teams from all over Sussex, teams of athletes under 13 years old, came together. The smaller clubs didn't expect to win, but they each had winners.
The competition for the trophy was between the bigger clubs and it was a close fought match all the way through. Who would win. I was convinced that the home club, my club, Crawley had done enough. But actually in the very last relay the situation was that if Brighton won that race they would win the match.............and they did.
Well done Brighton - happy winners.
Everybody was happy - glad to have taken part and done their best.
I was happy to have been the chief timekeeper for such a happy meeting - with a happy band of friends, who I am always glad to meet up with.
I shall not actually pack my watch away.
Bill and I have one more timekeeping duty at the track in 10 days. We will be timing a 5,000 metres, held annually after training on a Wednesday in September.
Sometimes it is quite a challenge - with only 3 of us sorting out both the finishing order and each individuals times.
This evening I have given my attention to other athletics - the paralympics.
I have booked our train  tickets to go there on Tuesday and Saturday.