Wednesday, August 29, 2012

 

Getting ready for the games

Short blog tonight.
No pictures.
I want to see the opening ceremony of the paralympics on TV - we'll be there in the morning, early.
Our rucksacks are packed with food and empty bottles and our cameras.
We shall be picnicking on the train which takes us to London; and then again, later in the Olympic Park.
Our train tomorrow morning is at 5.50 am.
We have to be early in the park - security is like at an airport. Every bag is searched, so I expect we will be standing in a queue for quite a while.
It is because of security that we have empty bottles.....we can have no more than 100mls of liquid.
Water is supplied from venues in the park.
But despite the security I feel so much has been done to make it easy for spectators.
For a start, we have free travel cards for within London.
I went on line for our train tickets and was offered a variety of options and routes and then ordered the tickets on the Olympic site.
Tomorrow morning we will be in the velodrome.
We will only see qualifying for future rounds. I wish I'd picked the afternoon session with a couple of finals.
Never mind, it is the being there that counts and seeing the inside of the venues.
I hope we will see some other sports after our picnic lunch.
We can stay in the park and some of the other events are not ticketed - just open for general spectators.
We'll feel like old hands when we go twice next week for evening athletics.
I am thrilled for the paralympics that the ticketed events are a sell out - plenty of atmosphere. Glad I ordered tickets long before The Olympic Games.
Time to settle down with a cuppa and enjoy the show.