Thursday, September 01, 2011

 

Incoming tide at Littlehampton.

The dining room table is now bedecked with even more items that need to be written up and priced before they take a trip to Dorking.
I bought some good things this morning at Ford.
We hit September and suddenly we have that autumn feel to the air - yes, I know that it's technically not autumn yet; but try telling that to the trees, with their browning leaves and the air that felt crisp in the early morning.
The Thursday car boot sales at Ford are now hugely worth visiting - almost as many stalls as on a Saturday, but with a generally less hurried and crowded atmosphere.
After over 2 hours at Ford, we were ready for our Balaton breakfast.

















Then we walked along by the river, crowded with the crab fishers.
The incoming tide gave them crabs a plenty to fill their buckets. It is just for fun - the crabs return to the river later, having enjoyed some tasty streaky bacon.
The tide at Littlehampton flows really fast.
Today with a breeze whipping up the water and maybe an extra high tide, the river looked quite wild.














































At low tide, the fishing boat would quite clearly be heading up river.
There is a solid wall to the harbour entrance under the poles.
At high tide the wall is submerged - catching out a bigger boat a couple of weeks ago, you might recall.
The sea was whipping over the wall and joined the swirling waters of the river.






























We had a delightful walk along the beach in the sunshine.
The strength of the wind had persuaded us to put jackets on - but we didn't really need them.



Silly woman!
Bill managed to snap with my eyes closed!













We arrived home and made some tea and I sat on the sofa, sorting more of my parents' letters.
When they were apart they wrote almost everyday - mostly to say how good it had been to spend time together and looking forward to the next time!
I cannot say how many hundreds of letters I have read now.
I think I even have some notes that were passed to each other when they were first attracted to each other at work. Mum was only 17 and a half.
Gradually I am getting them sorted.
I would like to scan a few before I pass them on to Roger.
I think I shall be very busy with letters tomorrow and Saturday.

Though I may well be out for some of tomorrow, visiting my friend Marion.
 I also want to phone a few of my mother's relations - the ones who would have known her during the time of the letters. They might be able to add to my knowledge.

Labels: