Tuesday, August 30, 2011

 

1st prize in a beauty competition - collect a plastic duck!

We got up late to a day when neither of us felt like doing much.
Actually, that's not fair. Bill was busy this morning mowing lawns.
And he has been round with the vacuum cleaner.
I decided to look through a few more of my parent's letters........several hours later, I realise that I have already sorted a great deal.
I am almost at the position where I shall have to see if there is much point attempting to make complete letters out of all the loose pages - dozens and dozens of them.
At this point, I thank my Dad. After the war, which is when he was called up to the army and working at a boring clerk's job, he received daily letters from my mother and he must have stapled pages together.
Dad wrote daily to Mum. Before I was born life wasn't so bad for him - he loved the land and enjoyed his time working on farms. The time after he had been called up was hard for him - leaving me wondering which of them needed his discharge on compassionate grounds the most!
My mother's letters are a great read, describing her life and mine during the time when she was living in a remote cottage, after Dad had been sent to Cheshire and North Wales.
It was a lonely life and she worked really hard. She had some friends amongst others who lived way out in that country spot and they seemed to have supported each other.
I have very vague memories of the place and some of the people. We left there when I was just 5.
She must have walked for miles - the nearest bus stop was some distance away.
From there she could reach Tunbridge Wells and on to her family home in Tonbridge.
I am learning lots from this project - mostly about who my mother was.
But there are wonderful snippets about me.
Oh my!
I won a beautiful baby competition in 1946!
I won a yellow plastic duck!
I wonder if my Dad approved of my having been entered! I haven't yet found the reply to that letter.
I have enjoyed reading about the cat named Winnie - who seemed to produce lots of kittens.
I was really pleased to realised that my Aunt Valerie had spent quite a bit of time at the cottage.
There is much to mull over - and later to discuss with Roger.
But Roger had not yet been born (Robin neither) when all these letters were written - so I guess that between us we will still not be sure of some things.
But I am sure that this project is good for me.
I feel a tremendous bond now with my mother, which had been missing. I have spent my adult life wondering if a good mother daughter relationship would have developed as I became a young mother - I always liked to think so.
And now - only 3 years short of my 70th birthday, I can be happy about my mother, despite her sometimes hard and much too short life. I feel like that she would be proud of who I am now and how I have worked through things.

Soon I must return to my own reality and continue to make something of my own world.
Reality......only 22 days until we fly to Thailand. Hooray! I need some warmth and sunshine.
Today they announced that this has been the coolest summer since 1993.